ESP32 Chip Versions/Revisions

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
ellisjr

ESP32 Chip Versions/Revisions

Post by ellisjr » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:56 pm

Can anybody categorically tell me which revisions/versions of ESP32 chips are in circulation (i.e. likely to be used in a development board)?

I think that there are Version 0, 1 and 3 out there (2 was very limited?). Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect, or even slightly shaky :lol:

If I am right that there are Version (revision) 3 chips out there on development boards, please can someone (anyone!) tell me where to source such a board because I wish to advance use of the ULP processor with MicroPython, a technique which I think we can all benefit from if we wish to make any battery operated gizmos.

Any helpful comments about ULP and MicroPython welcomed, even slightly off-topic as I'm still building a picture of how this all stands. I do know about Thomas Waldmann's in-line MP ULP assembler and that's what I am using to move forward.
John Ellis
What cannot go wrong, will. What definitely cannot go wrong absolutely will... :roll:

pythoncoder

Re: ESP32 Chip Versions/Revisions

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:53 am

My guess is that the best approach might be to find a genuine Espressif ESP32-DEVKITC with ESP-WROOM-32.

The tricky bit is the word genuine - as discussed in your other thread, the boards I got off eBay proved to be clones with old chips. A possible source is mouser electronics. They are professional suppliers and they explicitly sell Espressif products. I would imagine that the turnover of genuine parts would be high enough to ensure the latest chips. Not as cheap as eBay, and you need to find the right board from the rather large selection. this one perhaps?.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

ellisjr

Post by ellisjr » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:48 pm

Yes, thanks for the pointer @pythoncoder, good call!

I was surprised that it is not even that expensive, though shipping might be pricey, but I need to get this done. I hope to eventually build my own boards so I'll be able to source the right chips for those. I've mailed Mouser to find out what rev the chip is because I could not spot anything that told me (unless it's implied by the product name).

I did email A-Z delivery to ask if they were planning to ship any ESP32 boards with > rev0/1 chips and they said, quite plainly, NO, so I guess there must be a lot of cheaper rev1 chips out there looking for homes. :roll:

Interestingly Mouser's French office is only a stone's throw away from my house in France, but I'm about to head back to the UK for Christmas so I guess I'll work out what the fastest delivery is for Cambridge. Hey-ho :lol:

Anyway, I'm rambling now - I'll keep you posted...
John Ellis
What cannot go wrong, will. What definitely cannot go wrong absolutely will... :roll:

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:21 am

A glance at the stock quantities suggests that Mouser turns these things over at a high rate.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

ellisjr

Post by ellisjr » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:08 pm

Well, they may sell a lot of them, but it's not because of their responsive customer service department as I have not had any reply to my query, so I guess I will just have to buy one and find out...
John Ellis