Can I specify the number of bytes to read into an over-sized buffer via SPI?

The official PYBD running MicroPython, and its accessories.
Target audience: Users with a PYBD
jim

Can I specify the number of bytes to read into an over-sized buffer via SPI?

Post by jim » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:57 pm

I'm performing an SPI read within an ISR. The report lengths can vary quite a bit, depending on which signals the sensor is reporting and how many it might be bundling together in one report. The reports come in at roughly 200Hz. Each SPI transmission starts with a 4-byte header that includes the total number of bytes in the report payload that follows. I'd like to read this header and only read the necessary number of bytes into a buffer, as I cannot allocate a tailored buffer within the ISR. I can set the read buffer to the largest possible report size, but that burns a lot of time reading nothing. I tried passing a memoryview to the read call, but the system did not seem to like that.

pythoncoder

Re: Can I specify the number of bytes to read into an over-sized buffer via SPI?

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:37 am

I think you need two buffers, one (for the header) of 4 bytes and the other of the maximum size a message can be. Do an SPI read of the header, then immediately do a read of the number of bytes specified in the header.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

jim

Re: Can I specify the number of bytes to read into an over-sized buffer via SPI?

Post by jim » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:07 pm

This is the kicker. I can't figure out how to read only the number of bytes specified in the header. The spi.readinto call will keep reading to fill the buffer (which results in filling out the unnecessary part at the end with zeros). By using the largest possible buffer, I'm always taking the time to fill it, even if the actual data transmission is much shorter.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:59 am

If your header buf is 4 bytes long, .readinto will read exactly that number. Having interpreted the contents as a number N to read, you then have two options. You could then use .read(N) to read that number, but this has the drawback of allocating a buffer each time. The other approach is to use a memoryview into your buffer. This means you should be able to issue .readinto(mv[:N]) where mv is the memoryview. A memoryview allows you to create a slice into a buffer without copying.
Peter Hinch

jim

Post by jim » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:52 pm

The .readinto(mv[0:N]) generates a heap allocation exception. Here's how I set it up:

In __init__():

Code: Select all

self.header_buffer = bytearray(self._HEADER_BUFFER_SIZE)	# (4 bytes)
self.cargo_buffer = bytearray(self._CARGO_BUFFER_SIZE)
self.cargo_memoryview = memoryview(self.cargo_buffer)
self.number_of_bytes = 0
and in the isr():

self.spi.readinto(self.header_buffer)
self.number_of_bytes = (self.header_buffer[1] << 8) + self.header_buffer[0] - 4  # subtracting 4 bytes for the header that's already been read
self.spi.readinto(self.cargo_memoryview[:self.number_of_bytes])

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:30 am

I have replicated this on a Pyboard. I'm surprised that an allocation is occurring. The docs would lead you to believe that it should not occur. I'll raise an issue on GitHub and we'll see what the maintainers think.

As a workround you could use micropython.schedule but maybe that would be too slow.
Peter Hinch

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:43 am

I have raised this issue.
Peter Hinch

jim

Post by jim » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:43 pm

Thanks much for creating the issue.

Indeed, we're streaming data too frequently for micropython.schedule(). As a workaround, I was able to pre-allocate buffers for all the potential buffer sizes (it turns out there are only a handful, but that might go up in the future), and use the buffer that matches the size in the header.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:05 pm

It turns out that slicing the memoryview instantiates another memoryview. Hence, even though the data is not copied, an allocation occurs. There is no really satisfactory solution.

I was therefore going to suggest something akin to your solution, but pre-creating a number of memoryviews into a single buffer to save RAM:

buf = bytearray(256)
mv = memoryview(buf)
mv16 = mv[:16]
mv32 = mv[:32]
Peter Hinch

jim

Post by jim » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:21 pm

That's a good idea. Thanks.

For this particular case, it would be sufficient if an optional integer could be passed to spi.readinto() to specify the number of bytes to read.