Did not read the small print.

The official PYBD running MicroPython, and its accessories.
Target audience: Users with a PYBD
beetle

Did not read the small print.

Post by beetle » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:37 pm

I thought I would get a pyboard and the small D-series, being the only one currently available, was purchased without too much thought. But when I received it I got a bit of a shock as I did not realise those pin holes were so blooming small. It looks just fine in the pictures. I've just ordered the rather large WBUS-DIP68 so I least I can use it, though maybe not for its original intended purpose.

I do think some warning should be given on the shop so that unsuspecting older hobby types with 'old eyes' are fully forewarned (and warned in big print :D ). What with the extra board I had to purchase, and the fact I not be able to use it for my original purpose makes it a rather expensive purchase. But hey ho, I hope the money goes to recompense in some small way for the free use of micropython that I have been using for a couple of years now on ESP boards (and latterly the rip pico). I wonder if those original pyboards will be back in stock at some time, I do hope so.

tepalia02

Re: Did not read the small print.

Post by tepalia02 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:27 pm

Small imprints sometimes really make tasks harder. Is the board functioning? Or that is making problem too?

beetle

Post by beetle » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:27 pm

tepalia02 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:27 pm
Small imprints sometimes really make tasks harder. Is the board functioning? Or that is making problem too?
I only got the large normally pin spaced additional board into which the D board fits today, and the D board has not yet been used. Lots of pins to solder so first use is some weeks away. ;)

tepalia02

Post by tepalia02 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:13 pm

Ok. All the best.

mathieu

Post by mathieu » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:20 pm

beetle wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:37 pm
I wonder if those original pyboards will be back in stock at some time, I do hope so.
This may be a stupid question, but is there any official word regarding long-term production of the pyboard v1.1?

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:59 pm

@beetle I too despaired of soldering at 0.05" pitch for the same age-related reasons of eyesight and hand tremor. However I kept hitting the requirement and have just about managed to retrain myself to do it. It requires very bright lighting, two pairs of glasses (prescription + magnifying) and good clamps to ideally position the job. Plus a very fine soldering iron bit and support for your arm/hand.

Don't despair ;)
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.