Gerber files for d series?

The official PYBD running MicroPython, and its accessories.
Target audience: Users with a PYBD
eradicatore

Gerber files for d series?

Post by eradicatore » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:54 pm

Hi, I'd like to make a daughter board to connect to the pybd.
I see there are schematics shared here

https://pybd.io/hw/pybd_sfxw.html

But I don't see anywhere sharing the PCB files? I also noticed the board has x and y position holes?? What's that about? I don't believe I need that mezzazine board since I don't need access to all the gpio.

Thanks for any info

Justin

jimmo

Re: Gerber files for d series?

Post by jimmo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:02 am

Only the schematics are available, not the PCB layout or gerbers.

X and Y are inherited from the Pyboard 1.x series. Conceptually the idea is that each of X and Y have a spi, i2c, uart, adc, etc on the same pins. So X8 and Y8 are both MOSI (on spi1 and spi2 respectively). Same on the pybd. The machine and pyb API understands this too (i.e. machine.SPI('X').

In pybd, the tile header is either the the full X or Y "position" (i.e. X1-8 or Y1-8).

I think the diagram here probably helps a bit https://docs.micropython.org/en/latest/ ... ckref.html If you look at the layout, X and Y are rotationally symmetric.

If you're not using the mezzanine connectors (wbus), then it sounds like you want the coordinates of the holes on the pybd itself? I'm 99% sure they're on a 0.1" grid (naturally they are of course in the vertical direction, with the Y holes offset 0.05"). I'll check later and update the thread.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:11 am

The distance between the two 1.27mm (0.05") pitch connectors is 15.24mm or 6 * 2.54 mm (or 6 * 0.1"). I know it because I made a tiny hat adapting it to two 0.1" connectors for a breadboard. I have the small mezzanine board too, but it does not export the full X1-X8 port, and the long mezzanine board is simply ... long.

eradicatore

Post by eradicatore » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:15 am

Thank you so much guys! Yes that's really all i needed was the hole info. @roberth, you are referring to the horizontal spacing between the two vertical rows of 16 holes each, correct? That is great info! And it sounds like you confirm @jimmo that the spacing is .1" for x or y only and .05" for combined. Do you have the drill sizes per chance?

Thanks for the explanation on x and y too. Best forum ever. 😀

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:36 am

.6" is the distance between the holes of the 16 pin rows. .7" is the distance between the edge cuts. The diameter of the holes is hard to tell with just a caliper and old eyes. The smaller ones have like .6mm. A connector with .5mm pins just fits. The larger holes have diameter of .9 to 1.0 mm.

chuckbook

Post by chuckbook » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:05 am

The PYBD was designed to allow a regular DIP-16-600 footprint if only X-SKIN is used.
Y-SKIN ports are also placed to form a regular DIP-16-600 footprint but interleaved and rotated by 180 deg to the X-SKIN ports.
Note that pins 16, 15 and 13 are different for the X and Y SKIN footprints. This allows to access BOOT0, VBAT_EXT (RTC backup) and VUSB.