Using Pyboard D-series as a basis for commercial project

The official PYBD running MicroPython, and its accessories.
Target audience: Users with a PYBD
spectramax

Using Pyboard D-series as a basis for commercial project

Post by spectramax » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:18 am

Hello,

Could someone of authority comment on whether pyboard-D is an "open-source" project? Schematics are kindly provided but there is no schematic source file (kicad file or pcb gerber files). If it is an open source project, could you please provide with the appropriate license?

We want to create a micropython board for a niche industrial use and not to compete with Pyboard in any way.

Additional questions, would appreciate any insight:
  • We've got limited experience (currently using ESP32 with micropython firmware and it works great) building micropython boards from scratch. How difficult is it to build a pyboard with STM32 MCU from the approved list? Does it require anything special?
  • Are the pyboard-D C source files available?

pythoncoder

Re: Using Pyboard D-series as a basis for commercial project

Post by pythoncoder » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:40 pm

I lack "authority": I am just a long-term user. You might contact George Robotics for a definitive answer re manufacturing drawings. As far as I know these are not open source, but I may be wrong.

The software is entirely open source and MIT licensed. A number of people have developed hardware based on Pyboard 1.x on PCB's of their own design and installed MicroPython.

My approach for small volumes or prototypes would be to design a PCB accepting a WBUS-DIPx adaptor. For larger volume I would design a PCB based on Pyboard D schematics plus my own I/O.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.