USBSTOR driver overwritten by accident

The official PYBD running MicroPython, and its accessories.
Target audience: Users with a PYBD
Liam Booth

USBSTOR driver overwritten by accident

Post by Liam Booth » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:53 am

Hi all,

I've just got my new Pyboard D, found it was missing uasyncio so went to update the firmware using the sparkfun guide (https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ho ... rd/pyboard), silly me, i forgot to put the device in to the DFU bootloader mode replacing the USBSTOR driver with WinUSB with Zadig so i can't see the file system in my file explorer.

Does anyone know where i can get the old driver and how i can put the old driver back on to the board? Zadig seems to come with only its own preset drivers.

Any helps or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Liam

Liam Booth

Re: USBSTOR driver overwritten by accident

Post by Liam Booth » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:53 pm

Still no luck, for an update on what I've tried:

I've re-uploading the firmware which dfu-util said was successful; i can open a terminal and send commands through REPL; device manager shows the pyboard USB comm port and the name for the Universal Serial Bus device is 'Pyboard Virtual Comm port in FS Mode'.

I'm still unable to view the board as a storage device, any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Stevo52

Post by Stevo52 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:53 am

Hi,

The Sparkfun article you were following was not for the Pyboard D device you say you have. Have you tried following some of the information in this thread on this forum?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8197

you might not need the Python info that is included.

Zadig isn't actually writing anything to your pyboard, it is just setting the Windows driver to suit the Pyboard USB port.. timing is a bit finicky when using Zadig.

In my case, I see 'USB Serial Device (Com X)' in Device manager when it is installed correctly , with no 'Other' devices etc. And the Pyboard shows up as PYBFlash ('drive X:) in Windows Explorer - this can be dependent on what you have in your Boot.py file.. something like:

Code: Select all

import sys, os, pyb, micropython

# pyb.main('main.py')               # defines the main script to run after this one
# pyb.usb_mode('VCP')             # act as a serial
pyb.usb_mode('VCP+MSC')           # act as a serial and a storage device
# pyb.usb_mode('VCP+HID')         # act as a serial device and a mouse
# pyb.usb_mode(None)
pyb.country('AU')                 # ISO 3166-1 Alpha-2 code, eg US, GB, DE, AU

Liam Booth

Post by Liam Booth » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:18 pm

Thank you so much Stevo52, I was obviously misunderstanding how the drivers work. I've changed the driver from the device manager back to a USB mass storage device and i can now view the pyboard flash again in the windows explorer. I can also access and change the boot.py and main.py files, and i can send send and receive serial data through the comm port.

Thanks again!