mqtt_as Arduino RP2040 Connect

RP2040 based microcontroller boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an RP2040 boards.
This does not include conventional Linux-based Raspberry Pi boards.
scruss

Re: mqtt_as Arduino RP2040 Connect

Post by scruss » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:56 am

pythoncoder wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:57 am
... Perhaps you or someone else might like to try this script
Have to be someone else, I'm afraid. Although I am an Arduino reseller. the only boards that sell consistently from them are Unos

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:14 am

beetle wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:10 pm
... it would be really great if the mqtt_as could eventually be persuaded to run as I had ideas about running that on my Arduino Nano RP2040 boards....
I have a version which runs for a short while but then the WiFi disconnects. The library re-starts as per a real loss of connectivity, runs for a short while before it disconnects again. The disconnections make no sense: suddenly .isconnected() returns False and the module responds accordingly.

Given the complete failure of umqtt.simple I'm surprised mqtt_as works at all.

If anyone can confirm the behaviours I'm seeing with .ifconfig and umqtt.simple I'll raise tickets.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

beetle

Post by beetle » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:23 am

pythoncoder wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:14 am

If anyone can confirm the behaviours I'm seeing with .ifconfig and umqtt.simple I'll raise tickets.
I'd like to have a go but, following along with the info in the doc found in the Arduino web page about how to install micropython has resulted in a complete and utter failure to install.

The CircuitPython install was successful though and this had been already installed by me some months back. During the attempted micropython installation I got the rpi folder showing on my mac desktop (if I correctly remember the folder name) and dropped the micropython .uft file into the folder and it seemed to copy, but sadly no micropython poped up on a reboot, it just come back as a CircuitPython folder.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:36 pm

Did you link gnd and rec, then press the button? You can remove the link after a few seconds, but copying the file should then work. That procedure has been reliable here.
Peter Hinch

beetle

Post by beetle » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:50 pm

pythoncoder wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:36 pm
Did you link gnd and rec, then press the button? You can remove the link after a few seconds, but copying the file should then work. That procedure has been reliable here.
Dear Peter,

Yes I was shorting the rec to ground but I gave it another go. First try, again nope, the circuitpython drive disappeared with the usual warning about not ejecting the drive, but no rpi-rp2 drive. Second try I firstly ejected the circuitpython drive and then shorted and pressed reset, and this time up popped the rpi-rp2 drive. I decided to put on the lastest nightly build instead of the 'release' in case that contributed to my previous problems (I had got the rpi-rp2 drive showing before). That copied ok. I think the rpi-rp2 drive disapeared but the drive(port) in /dev was not showing up. A power off/on of the board still did not show up any port in /dev. So I rebooted my mac, connected the board to the usb, and we have a port in /dev and Thonny connected. Got there eventually :D

So on to some testing with the network and mqtt simple. Probably my ignorance but I found that I had to be sure to disconnect the network before running the connect program again or the second attempt would always fail. The third attempt would connect , but the fourth would fail etc etc, always a success / failure pair. Anyway ensuring the program had a network disconnect meant I could alway connect OK. However the network connect program always gives the following message
- Warning: firmware version mismatch, expected 1.4.8 found: 1.4.5

So on the the mqtt simple.py. I can run the test publish program with the following code.

from simple import MQTTClient
import network
# enable station interface and connect to WiFi access point
station = network.WLAN(network.STA_IF)
station.active(True)
station.connect('MYSID','MYPASSWORD')
print('Network config: ', station.ifconfig())

# Test reception e.g. with:
# mosquitto_sub -t foo_topic

def main(server="10.0.1.141"):
c = MQTTClient("umqtt_client", server)
c.connect()
c.publish(b"foo_topic", b"hello")
c.disconnect()

if __name__ == "__main__":
main()
station.disconnect()

Again the station.disconnect() is necessary or the program will be on a success/fail cycle.

So I don't know if this helps, but do let me know what else I can do to assist.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:54 am

The message about "expected 1.4.8" must be referring to the NINA-W102 module firmware. This can be upgraded using this procedure but (see my posts above) I didn't find this easy. It's worth doing, but it won't fix your problem.

The difficulties connecting really shouldn't happen. I think there is no escaping that (even with my 1.4.8) the WiFi firmware support is flaky.
Peter Hinch

beetle

Post by beetle » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:36 pm

pythoncoder wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:54 am
The message about "expected 1.4.8" must be referring to the NINA-W102 module firmware. This can be upgraded using this procedure but (see my posts above) I didn't find this easy. It's worth doing, but it won't fix your problem.

The difficulties connecting really shouldn't happen. I think there is no escaping that (even with my 1.4.8) the WiFi firmware support is flaky.
The flakyness does not stop at the wifi I find. After installing micropython upon powering up the board I get a folder called NO NAME popping up on my mac. Running Thonny sees a port called ' Board in FS mode (/dev/cu.usbmodem141201) '. If I eject the folder then Thonny also disconnects. I put a small network connect and mqtt publish program to be called from main.py so it auto runs on boot, but it will only run when connected to my mac and can create this NO NAME folder. If I just power the board from a usb wall wart then the main.py does not run.

Currently the micropython implementation on the Arduino RP2040 is a pigs ear and I suppose it should be regarded as a work in progress.

Just an observation that, if running from this silly NO NAME folder the simple mqtt and network connect seems to start up reliably as long as the program starts with a check to ensure that the board does not think its currently connected to a network
station = network.WLAN(network.STA_IF)
if station.isconnected():
station.disconnect()
Then go on to make a new connection.
(And a test mqtt publish loop has been publishing away for about 4 hours now, shortly to be killed and put into storage to await some hoped for further developments to mp for this board)

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:10 pm

beetle wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:36 pm
... shortly to be killed and put into storage to await some hoped for further developments to mp for this board)
On past performance these problems will be fixed. The failings seem so extensive as not to be worth reporting: whoever is working on firmware for this port is bound to be aware of them.

I don't plan any further work on the board's use with mqtt_as until the board is capable of connecting to a network, displaying correct network config data, and running mqtt_simple without special hacks. I'm fairly confident that, when it passes those tests, it will work with the tweaks I have in the pipeline.

I suggest we try again in a few weeks.
Peter Hinch

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:33 am

I have raised this ticket.
Peter Hinch

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:03 pm

The issues raised in the ticket are now fixed. The Arduino RP2040 Connect with NINA firmware 1.4.8 and today's firmware build now works with the official MQTT library.

I have pushed an update to mqtt_as which works with this hardware.
Peter Hinch