GSoD

C programming, build, interpreter/VM.
Target audience: MicroPython Developers.
khabdrick

GSoD

Post by khabdrick » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:32 am

I am interested in applying for Google season of Docs in Micropython, please what is the prerequisite knowledge and how can I apply?

mattyt

Re: GSoD

Post by mattyt » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:10 pm

Hi there,
khabdrick wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:32 am
I am interested in applying for Google season of Docs in Micropython, please what is the prerequisite knowledge and how can I apply?
If you'd like to apply to be MicroPython's Technical Writer for this year's Google Season of Docs, start by reading our proposal on how we'd like to Update MicroPython Port Documentation. If that's of interest to you then read through the Technical writer guide to become aware of the project requirements and submit a Statement of Interest, emailing it to me directly (email is in the proposal).

Jim and I have until May 17th to select a Tech Writer from the applicants.

Thanks for showing interest in our Season of Docs effort and I look forward to seeing your statement of interest!
Matt

khabdrick

Post by khabdrick » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:36 pm

mattyt wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:10 pm
Hi there,
khabdrick wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:32 am
If you'd like to apply to be MicroPython's Technical Writer for this year's Google Season of Docs, start by reading our proposal on how we'd like to Update MicroPython Port Documentation. If that's of interest to you then read through the Technical writer guide to become aware of the project requirements and submit a Statement of Interest, emailing it to me directly (email is in the proposal).

Jim and I have until May 17th to select a Tech Writer from the applicants.

Thanks for showing interest in our Season of Docs effort and I look forward to seeing your statement of interest!
Matt
This is the first time I am coming across micropython but I am familiar with python. Do you think I will be able to accomplish what is required in the project?

mattyt

Post by mattyt » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:07 am

khabdrick wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:36 pm
This is the first time I am coming across micropython but I am familiar with python. Do you think I will be able to accomplish what is required in the project?
It really depends on whether you are motivated to learn (and, as a mentor, I'll help!).

The language of MicroPython is quite similar to Python - and anyone with Python experience can pick up the language quickly. However, the task is to update port documentation. This is unique to MicroPython and requires some understanding of the embedded domain and the underlying microcontrollers that MicroPython runs on so that it can be documented with clarity.

It's not especially complex but if you have little experience in the embedded space there will be a learning curve.

khabdrick

Post by khabdrick » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:34 am

Sent an application to you some days ago, I started learning a little about embedded domain and microcontrollers, just in case I get accepted, wouldn't want to be totally lost. :D :D