Adding MicroPython support for a custom board

C programming, build, interpreter/VM.
Target audience: MicroPython Developers.
Yadnik

Adding MicroPython support for a custom board

Post by Yadnik » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:39 am

I want to add MicroPython support for a custom TI CC1352P MCU based board [url][https://github.com/jadonk/beagleconnect/url] with driver support for UART, I2C, SPI, ADC, GPIO and PWM peripheral drivers.Can someone please guide me with any documentation or references that I can do to get MicroPython firmware support for the board.

Yadnik

Re: Adding MicroPython support for a custom board

Post by Yadnik » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:18 am

I have gone through this discussion viewtopic.php?t=5795,however my board does not take any ported SOC into use, hence I am not sure whether the same will apply for my board as well.
Thank you very much!!

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:48 am

Yadnik wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:39 am
I want to add MicroPython support for a custom TI CC1352P MCU based board [url][https://github.com/jadonk/beagleconnect/url] with driver support for UART, I2C, SPI, ADC, GPIO and PWM peripheral drivers.Can someone please guide me with any documentation or references that I can do to get MicroPython firmware support for the board.
This isn't a straightforward task as there is currently no direct support for this family of MCUs.

It appears that Zephyr does however support this chip (or something very close), so I think this is likely the best approach.

(Also just a moderator note, it seems you're accidentally creating duplicate topics & posts)

Yadnik

Post by Yadnik » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:49 pm

Actually I am finding it very difficult to Mickroe click boards on the zephyr port, like I am not able to take pre existing libraries into use, and hence I had the thought for having a dedicated port for my board.
Can you also please elaborate on the process needed if I have to do a dedicated port.
Yes I think I have asked it under another thread as well.I am very sorry wont happen again.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:03 pm

Yadnik wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:49 pm
Actually I am finding it very difficult to Mickroe click boards on the zephyr port, like I am not able to take pre existing libraries into use, and hence I had the thought for having a dedicated port for my board.
Can you also please elaborate on the process needed if I have to do a dedicated port.
Unfortunately I think a dedicated port is going to be a lot more work than adding ADC and PWM to the Zephyr port.

To answer your question though, the first step is to make simple firmware that can drive a UART and GPIO. Then you can start the micropython VM and the REPL. Take a look at ports/bare-arm and ports/minimal for reference.

Yadnik

Post by Yadnik » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:55 pm

Thank you very much jimmo for your guidance.
I also feel that I must go ahead with the existing zephyr port as I have to complete all the tasks in coming 25 days and writing an entire port along with getting drivers working wont be feasible.