ERROR: tool xxxx has no installed versions. Please run...

C programming, build, interpreter/VM.
Target audience: MicroPython Developers.
devnull

ERROR: tool xxxx has no installed versions. Please run...

Post by devnull » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:36 am

Been away for a while, and the bash scripts to build my ports no longer works, so I decided to rebuild my development environment from scratch, starting with the esp32.

I am using (as always) vmware VMs, in this case I am using Alpine since it is lightweight and fast, and have as far as I can tell installed all of the dependencies including replacing ash with bash as the install scripts all seem to be written for bash.

I have decided to use the functions in

Code: Select all

micropython/micropython/tools/ci.sh ci_esp32_setup_helper
since I assumed that these must be proven and the recommended method of installation.

The installation completes successfully, and ends with the message to source the exports.sh file, and this is where I am stuck, and I am getting a lot of errors:

Adding ESP-IDF tools to PATH...
ERROR: tool xtensa-esp32-elf has no installed versions. Please run '/nfs/qnap/dev/upydev/build/esp/esp-idf/install.sh' to install it.
ERROR: tool esp32ulp-elf has no installed versions. Please run '/nfs/qnap/dev/upydev/build/esp/esp-idf/install.sh' to install it.
ERROR: tool openocd-esp32 has no installed versions. Please run '/nfs/qnap/dev/upydev/build/esp/esp-idf/install.sh' to install it.
executing

idf_tools.py export
results in the same output as above, as this is the code in the install.sh script that fails.

Re-running the install script makes no difference, no errors are hit during installation, and only info messages stating that the tool is already installed, and will be re-installed.

Depending on the version I install, the number of these failures increases as the version increases from v4.0.2, v4.1.1 or v4.2, and I have re-done the install process at least 1/2 dozen times today, the result is always the same and fails at this stage.

I also used my previous debian distro, and the errors defined above are the same on both debian and alpine distros.

I have googled these errors, but have not found a solution.

Has anyone else recently used the ci.sh functions to build the esp environment, or has anyone else encountered and solved similar errors ?

Thanks in advance :-)