SUGGESTION - move the QUESTIONS to Stackoverflow

C programming, build, interpreter/VM.
Target audience: MicroPython Developers.
jickster

SUGGESTION - move the QUESTIONS to Stackoverflow

Post by jickster » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:51 pm

I don't think this forum software is conducive to questions.
There's no way to mark a topic as a question,
no way to mark a topic as answered,
no way to determine the experience of the person who answers the question.

I recommend questions be steered to Stackoverflow while the forum remains for discussions.

deshipu

Re: SUGGESTION - move the QUESTIONS to Stackoverflow

Post by deshipu » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:20 pm

Why do you need all those things? We are all hobbyists and volunteers here, we are not getting paid for answering the questions, I see no reason to collect such statistics.

jickster

Post by jickster » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:26 am

deshipu wrote:Why do you need all those things? We are all hobbyists and volunteers here, we are not getting paid for answering the questions, I see no reason to collect such statistics.
There’s no way to mark a post as being a question or as being answered.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:45 am

jickster wrote:...
There’s no way to mark a post as being a question or as being answered.
The author of the root message can edit its title after responses have been received e.g. to append "[SOLVED]" - e.g. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3858.

As for assessing the experience of contributors, questions raised here cover a very wide range. Someone might have expertise in, say, control system design and be highly qualified to answer a question on balancing robots while being inexperienced in Python. A crude expertise rating wouldn't reflect this. In particular it would not identify people with specific knowledge of optimal MicroPython usage.

This forum with its good search facilities is effective in my opinion.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

stijn

Post by stijn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:24 am

Not really a bad idea, but I think the userbase is just too small to really make this efficient and effective on SO.
We are all hobbyists and volunteers here, we are not getting paid for answering the questions,
That's largely irrelevant given this is equally true for 99.9% or more of the people answering questions on SO.
A crude expertise rating wouldn't reflect this. In particular it would not identify people with specific knowledge of optimal MicroPython usage
That is true, except that you're implying the rating on SO is like that while in it is not: only for users which have answered only a handful of questions and still have low rep it is impossible to have a clue of their actual knowledge on any subject. However beyond that it becomes fairly easy to estimate one's capabilities just by looking at the profile where the total rep is shown as number of questions answered per tag. There will also be exeptions of course, but in general the rating system on SO (and other sites in the SE network) works pretty well.

edit well seems there's a [micropython] tag already on SO, didn't know that.

mwm

Post by mwm » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:23 am

But how many users will bother looking at someone else's profile - on either forum?

Personally, my experience is that Google finds answers on SO no more often than it does on any other non-dedicated forum. On the other hand, my questions on an SO board are much less likely to get an answer than those on a dedicated forum. I've largely given up on SO forums for the products I use that depend on them.