c++ for module development

C programming, build, interpreter/VM.
Target audience: MicroPython Developers.
elliotwoods

c++ for module development

Post by elliotwoods » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:19 am

Hey all!
Loving MicroPython, congrats on everything

I'm working on a module to count Encoder values with the ESP32 hardware counters. I have it working in cpp now here:
https://github.com/elliotwoods/ESP32-Qu ... ncoder.cpp

I noticed that if i add a cpp file to my micropython.mk, i get an error (xtensa can't find the file)
I know that ESPIDF will work with cpp since i tested that directly in PlatformIO
It seems to be a limitation of the micropython workflow that it doesn't support cpp files right now

Perhaps something to do with py/py.mk ?

Code: Select all

SRC_MOD += $(patsubst $(USER_C_MODULES)/%.c,%.c,$(SRC_USERMOD))
My plan was to use extern C to bring everything back to the C file, but it seems that I can't have cpp files at all.
Can anybody help / clarify?

Thank you
Elliot

side note:
Hit my head pretty hard over the last 24 hours trying to get a build environment working. Finally got it working last night, and then from this morning somehow how to start from scratch again (been trying with linux subsystem, msys2, minigw, etc)

Hoping the dockerfile approach will become standardised in the future! (i noticed in another thread)

jimmo

Re: c++ for module development

Post by jimmo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:35 am

Yes, you're exactly right -- the main MicroPython project is entirely C only.

For ESP32 it doesn't use the IDF build system, so even though their Makefiles (and the newer CMake system) support C++, that doesn't affect MicroPython.

That said, there are examples of using C++ with MicroPython, e.g. https://github.com/bbcmicrobit/micropython/

For the most part, other than like you say, careful use of `extern "C"` where necessary, the main thing is updating the Makefiles to also add the relevant rules for your .cc / .cpp files. Plus probably a default rule for %.cc -> %.o. You'll probably want to make sure that CPPFLAGS disables exceptions etc.

elliotwoods

Post by elliotwoods » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:14 pm

Hey all

I'm still stuck on this and would really appreciate some help.
A few months back when I wanted to get CPP working, I instead worked around it in C only

This time I want to include a CPP library (Tensorflow lite micro) and therefore need to have CPP support

I'm not very familiar with Makefiles, and the micropython makefile is especially complicated.

First I noticed that having in the makefile

TENSORFLOW_MOD_DIR := $(USERMOD_DIR)
Doesn't work for cpps, as some of the paths become broken, so instead I go with absolute paths
Now I get

build-GENERIC/../../../modules/tensorflow/tensorflow.cpp:11: *** missing separator.  Stop.
Line 11 reads:

int test() {
	return 0;
}
I seem to get that error on the first line of code which defines a symbol (i.e. not an include/other) regardless of whatever I put there.

elliotwoods

Post by elliotwoods » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:06 am

I've also made a request on the GitHub for official support for CPP in user modules:
https://github.com/micropython/micropython/issues/6233

Maybe it's best that I continue this conversation over there instead

elliotwoods

Post by elliotwoods » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:48 am

Update :
I have got it working now (in a round-about-hacky way)
Notes in the github issue above

Thank you all!

Keja

Post by Keja » Sat May 01, 2021 2:13 pm

hello,
I'm trying to do something similar also on ESP32 with a mix of cpp cc files.
The link to step4 is dead, could you detail a bit ?
Thank you