xmodem implementation

C programming, build, interpreter/VM.
Target audience: MicroPython Developers.
sdjelili

xmodem implementation

Post by sdjelili » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi,
I want to work about implementation of xmodem from the list of TODOs for contributors (https://github.com/micropython/micropython/issues/1331) .
First I wanted to discuss here, because the list is from 2015 and I wanted to know does this need is available.

I can work also for another implementation but I couldn't find any list of modules which are suggested to implement, can someone help me about this.

Thank you.

Regards.

jimmo

Re: xmodem implementation

Post by jimmo » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:49 am

I'm not sure whether that's talking about an xmodem client, or perhaps some sort of xmodem support in the REPL to send/receive files. Either way, I'm not sure this is a terribly high priority as I haven't seen anyone talking about the former recently, and the latter has other alternatives (such as pyboard.py, rshell, etc, and mprepl -- https://github.com/micropython/micropython/pull/3034 ).

It would be really good to update the list of TODOs for contributors... but in the meantime, is there a particular port of MicroPython you're familiar with (e.g. STM32 / ESP32 / etc). There's a long list of hardware support features for the various ports that would be good to have people work on. Or are you more interested in core language features? Otherwise PRs to reduce code size or improve RAM usage etc are always welcome.

sdjelili

Post by sdjelili » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:15 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I want to contribute to unix port but I am also familiar with STM32. Also I am interested in core languages features.

I have started working on XMODEM implementation, if this is bad choice please reply to this post.

I am waiting for any recommendation about XMODEM or anything else which is related to contributing. I can help with another module also or with specific problem in core.

Regards.

OutoftheBOTS_

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:06 am

Maxipy(micropython for K210 MCU) and Lobo port of MP for K210 have zmodem implementation for transferring files to the MCU, maybe you can look at what they have been doing.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:41 pm

Most of us will have chosen a solution to this problem from among those listed by @jimmo. I for one would need an extraordinarily compelling reason to abandon rshell.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.