Porting MicroPython to SwissMicros DM42 / DMCP

C programming, build, interpreter/VM.
Target audience: MicroPython Developers.
fnord

Re: Porting MicroPython to SwissMicros DM42 / DMCP

Post by fnord » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:50 pm

First signs of life :-)
Attachments
dmpy_first.jpg
dmpy_first.jpg (149.95 KiB) Viewed 6055 times

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:03 am

fnord wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:53 am
to my main.c, the build succeeds, but that's probably not the right way to do it
Seems fine for now. You can probably find something in the DMCP SDK to use for this.
fnord wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:50 pm
First signs of life
Oh that's awesome!!!! Made my day, I hope the libmicropython.a PR helped, if so it was definitely worth it :)

fnord

Post by fnord » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:01 pm

Yes, it really helped a lot, thank you!

The current status is:
My main program reads a file called test.py from the calculator's FAT filesystem into a buffer and then calls execute_from_str(buffer).
I have started working on a module called dmcp that tries to match the DMCP c api as closely as possible, and another module called dmpy that contains everything that I might find useful to have but is not strictly part of the DMCP api.

The next thing would probably be the file functions, so that I can access DMCP's FAT filesystem from python code.
How would I go about teaching libmicropython to use DMCP's file functions? I could add these functions to the dmcp or dmpy module, but it would be much nicer if I could use the native python functions like open() and import.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:53 pm

fnord wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:01 pm
The next thing would probably be the file functions, so that I can access DMCP's FAT filesystem from python code.
How would I go about teaching libmicropython to use DMCP's file functions? I could add these functions to the dmcp or dmpy module, but it would be much nicer if I could use the native python functions like open() and import.
You'll want to look at how the Unix port does this.

A quick summary though (sorry I haven't looked into this in detail recent, so this is sort of off the top of my head memory of how this works):
- MicroPython provides a VFS layer that allows filesystems to be mounted from block devices. This is really useful on bare-metal ports, but on an RTOS port you're more likely to want to use the OS's filesystem abstractions.
- A port is also able to provide default implementations of open() and import (you've already seen mp_import_stat). From Python, these are really the only two ways of accessing the filesystem (other than then subsequently reading/writing the files via the stream interface), so there's not a lot more you need to provide other than a way to produce a stream from a path+flags.
- The unix port can do either approach, but it sounds like the second approach is more useful for you. You might even be able to use most of the unix implementation (see mp_builtin_open in unix/main.c), and the mp_vfs_posix_file_open implementation it uses and the related VfsPosix code. (I assume DMCP provides something similar enough that it might just work?).

fnord

Post by fnord » Sun May 03, 2020 7:50 pm

Status update:
I can read and execute .py files and also import modules from the DMCP filesystem.
Also, I have an error screen for uncaught exceptions.
exception.png
Exception screen
exception.png (2.19 KiB) Viewed 5990 times

fnord

Post by fnord » Wed May 06, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi again,

I found a reliable way to crash my program, but I'm not sure what do do about it.
The following python code does nothing interesting but works:

Code: Select all

for i in range(100):
    s = "%d"%i
Whereas the following code causes the program to crash:

Code: Select all

for i in range(1000):
    s = "%d"%i
Note that the error message is not coming from my program but from the DMCP OS.
dmpy_crash.png
dmpy_crash.png (247.63 KiB) Viewed 5949 times
I can increase the number of iterations that work without crashing by increasing the amount of heap I allocate for MicroPython.
Is it possible that the garbage collection is not working properly and I'm just filling up the heap with unused string objects?

fnord

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Thu May 07, 2020 3:17 am

fnord wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:37 pm
Whereas the following code causes the program to crash:
It sounds like the GC is crashing. I initially wondered if it was filling up the entire heap with QSTR pools, but I don't think that exact code will result in any QSTRs being created (only strings which can be GC'ed).

Any chance you can post what you've got so far to github so I can take a look?

fnord

Post by fnord » Mon May 18, 2020 9:06 pm

Yes, I intend to put what I have so far on github, just haven't found the time to do so yet.
I'll probably need to fork micropython so I can include it as a git submodule with my changes to the micropython code.
I hope I'll be able to do make my code available in the course of this week; sorry for the delay.

fnord

Post by fnord » Tue May 19, 2020 10:56 pm

Okay, here it is: https://github.com/fnordsh/dmpy
If you have any questions, let me know!

fnord

Post by fnord » Fri May 22, 2020 6:21 pm

Okay, I looked a bit more into the hard fault issue I described above.
The crash does indeed happen when I run out of heap space, or whenever I call gc.collect().
When I disable the garbage collector with gc.disable(), I get a MemoryError exception instead of the hard fault, when I run out of heap.
So it seems something goes wrong when the GC tries to reclaim unused memory.