Pyboard for production - How many boards can you order?

Delivery, Pledges, Questions, all Kickstarter-backers related topics.
Please take care, do not enter personal data (e.g. post address, telephone number, etc.)
rankor

Pyboard for production - How many boards can you order?

Post by rankor » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:35 pm

I understand it as Micropython being for hobbyists first, correct?

But with a few enhancements like watchdog and brown-out protection and having a proper development environment like a fully integrated Eclipse mode maybe Micropython could be used for real products as well, unsure at this stage.

What volumes can you order the Pyboard in? Just 10 maximum. Or 1000, 10000, 100000 is possible? Is it just a bigger order from the manufacturer or there is more to it?

blmorris

Re: Pyboard for production - How many boards can you order?

Post by blmorris » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:16 pm

I don't speak for Damien, but I don't think he ever intended the pyboard to be restricted to hobby-only use. You should contact him directly, but my guess is that with a firm commitment on the numbers, he would be happy to build as many pyboards as you can afford to buy. (At least, that is how my company operates.)
Edit- I should add that Damien appears to be working with a solid board assembly house, and is currently shipping boards from the second manufacturing run.

Damien
Site Admin

Re: Pyboard for production - How many boards can you order?

Post by Damien » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:51 am

You can use Micro Python for more than just hobby projects! If you are interested in many boards please contact us directly. We can provide 100s within a few days if needed. For more than that we can go to the manufacturer and it would be around 1 month lead time.

If you want more than 10k units I suspect you probably want to design your own board to have specific features for your application. If you base the design around an STM32F4xx chip, then Micro Python should work on it without much modification.

I hope to add watchdog features very soon.

We could look at using IPython as an interactive development environment, but I will always keep the serial REPL as the main way of interacting with the board.