Weather Pal

Showroom for MicroPython related hardware projects.
Target audience: Users wanting to show off their project!
deshipu

Weather Pal

Postby deshipu » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:20 pm

I needed something to show me the weather forecast in my hall, so that I can grab the right clothes and shoes when leaving, so I decided to cobble together something using the new D1 Mini Lite and a prototype of 8x8 matrix shield for it that I have been working on for some time now. I'm pretty happy with the result, even though this is a very simple project.

The same code should work as well with the Adafruit matrix backpacks -- they use the same chip and the same library as my shields.

The code just grabs the weather forecast from the Internet and displays an icon and a temperature (in Celsius). It should be quite simple to adapt and extend.

The project's page is at https://hackaday.io/project/20839-weather-pal

pythoncoder

Re: Weather Pal

Postby pythoncoder » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:51 am

Neat! And nice simple code.

My only quibble is with openweathermap.org. Here in the UK their forecasts bear only a passing resemblance to those from the Met Office. Given that the latter has a supercomputer the size of two football pitches I suspect they have something of an advantage ;) My own subjective experience tends to confirm this.
Peter Hinch

deshipu

Re: Weather Pal

Postby deshipu » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:00 am

I have to admit I picked the service somewhat randomly, and didn't spend much time on that. I just used the first thing that was free and had an API. It should be relatively easy to adapt it for other services.

Return to “Hardware Projects”