Recomendation for a LiPo charger module

Showroom for MicroPython related hardware projects.
Target audience: Users wanting to show off their project!
Jim.S

Recomendation for a LiPo charger module

Post by Jim.S » Mon May 30, 2016 7:05 pm

I'm looking for a pre-built module to charge a 3.7v lithium polymer ( LiPo ) battery. I'm looking for a module that is reasonably simple to integrate with the pyboard, i.e.
1. something I can connect to the 5V from the pyboard's USB port
2. Something that will automatically switch from charging to powering the pyboard

(i'm not too bothered if it has a boost regulator (or not) because I'm not bothered about optimising battery life)

Ive had a look around the various website's, like Adafruit, but I'm starting to get confused over the choice, Any recommendations for things that work in practice?

fma

Re: Recomendation for a LiPo charger module

Post by fma » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:26 am

Frédéric

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:58 am

Hello Jim, it looks like the Adafruit 1944 , Power Boost 500C, would do it. It has an Micro USB input, an LiPo connector and an 5V USB output, which would power Pyboard. On the pictures I see there is no USB Plug for the output on the PCB. It is supplied seperately, so you have to solder the plug yourself. The data connection is NOT fed through from input to output. That's a strange limitation.

woodat

Post by woodat » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:13 pm

I usually use the TP4056 to charge/power my ESP8266s. at 25 cents a pop (with a few weeks shipping delay) it seems reasonsable. Just connect the input voltage to either the USB port or the +/- pads on one side, and the battery and device to be powered on the Bat+/- side. You can run/charge it while plugged in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-MICRO-USB- ... OSwt7pXLQG~

(For regulation an LM1117 brings it down to 3.3v in my case. Dunno if that's needed for the regular upy board. Adds another 25 cents for prebuilt boards or pennies for just the part itself)