Porting MicroPython to the Pokitto retro-gaming device (based on NXP LPC11U68)

Showroom for MicroPython related hardware projects.
Target audience: Users wanting to show off their project!
Hanski

Porting MicroPython to the Pokitto retro-gaming device (based on NXP LPC11U68)

Post by Hanski » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:56 am

Hi,

I just want to tell you about my MP porting project to Pokitto, which is an educational device/retro-gaming device/embedded system controller, containing:
  • NXP LPC11U68 (ARM Cortex-M0+ processor, running at 48 MHz)
  • 220x176 (16 bit color) LCD color screen
  • Casing and buttons
  • Speaker
  • MC slot
  • HW extension slot
  • Battery
  • etc.
The MicroPython is already working on the device. I have also started to port a very small subset of PyGame to it, uPyGame, to make use of the screen, audio, etc capabilities. The performance of python looks promising, I have been able to blit 100 pygame surfaces (16x16, 4 bit color) on screen at 16 fps. I will soon put my MicroPython fork available in public.

http://www.pokitto.com
Attachments
pokitto.jpg
pokitto.jpg (83.41 KiB) Viewed 7909 times
Last edited by Hanski on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattyt

Re: Porting MicroPython to the Pokitto device (based on NXP LPC11U68)

Post by mattyt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:36 am

That's really cool! I'm impressed you were able to get it all working in what must be a limited RAM environment - how much memory do you have to work with on the Pokitto? My quick perusal of the datasheets for that family of processors suggests that it tops out at 256KB...

Looking forward to seeing your fork. :)

shaoziyang

Post by shaoziyang » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:47 am

That's great.

Hanski

Post by Hanski » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:49 am

mattyt wrote:That's really cool! I'm impressed you were able to get it all working in what must be a limited RAM environment - how much memory do you have to work with on the Pokitto? My quick perusal of the datasheets for that family of processors suggests that it tops out at 256KB...

Looking forward to seeing your fork. :)
Thanks! Pokitto has 36 KB RAM and 256 KB flash ROM. Currently, I have set uPython GC to allocate 20 kb heap to itself. Yes, you have to be very careful not to use too much RAM, e.g. sprite class cannot have too many instance variables if there are a lot of sprites on screen. But that is a part of the fun, to try to make a game in a limited environment :D

fpp

Re: Porting MicroPython to the Pokitto retro-gaming device (based on NXP LPC11U68)

Post by fpp » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:40 pm

Looks quite fun, but how do you get one ?...

Hanski

Re: Porting MicroPython to the Pokitto retro-gaming device (based on NXP LPC11U68)

Post by Hanski » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:19 am

Kickstarter is over, and the early birds are being delivered next wednesday. I have heard there will be online shop later. Still, if you want to get yours from the first batch, you could mail to pokitto@pokitto.com, an have your name in the list.

The.community around Pokitto is very lively in the forum. There are over ten games in the process already even if the device is not out :) You can develop games on Pokitto Simulator in Windows and Linux.

vitormhenrique

Post by vitormhenrique » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:40 pm

Hanski wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:56 am
..... I have also started to port a very small subset of PyGame to it, uPyGame, to make use of the screen, audio, etc capabilities....
Hanski, does uPyGame work handling a generic upython frame buffer or is it specific for the Pokitto hardware? Also, could yo please point to me where is the source code?