E-paper?

Showroom for MicroPython related hardware projects.
Target audience: Users wanting to show off their project!
pythoncoder

E-paper?

Post by pythoncoder » Tue May 12, 2015 6:01 am

I came across this http://bit.ly/pipaper and thought a similar board aimed at the Pyboard would be a brilliant fit. E-paper uses very low power and is nonvolatile, so the Pyboard could go to sleep leaving the display visible and with the whole project drawing negligible power. It uses SPI and I2C so the electronics design would presumably be simple. A bigger challenge might be porting the graphics libraries.

If anyone felt inclined to start a crowdfunding campaign I'd sign up :)
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

blmorris

Re: E-paper?

Post by blmorris » Tue May 12, 2015 1:56 pm

@pythoncoder - Cool idea! I could see it as a nice companion to the GPS board I designed. Given that e-paper uses so little power (and zero static power) I think it would really shine as an accessory for the WiPy
I'll start thinking about the hardware - there are some power considerations to be careful of, but overall it doesn't look like the electronic interface is that complicated to implement.
If I make any progress on a design and there is interest, I'll keep you posted here. I make no promises about managing a crowd funding campaign, though… maybe I'll think about it sometime after my kids decide to let us sleep through the night.