pyboard UART -> GSM SIM800l module. Command responses aren't consistent

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
HStro

pyboard UART -> GSM SIM800l module. Command responses aren't consistent

Postby HStro » Wed May 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi everyone!

So, bit of a strange issue here. I am using the GSM SIM800l module for internet.
(http://wiki.seeedstudio.com/images/4/46 ... _V1.00.pdf)

I have some code that has been tested with a Raspberry pi and also with my computer (via screen). The code is able to successfully send API requests to a server via the GSM. However, when I try the code with the pyboard, connected via UART, I am seeing erratic and inconsistent behaviour. Sometimes the commands that are sent to the GSM spontaneously fail and sometimes things go smoothly, where API requests are successful (albeit far less of the time!). There doesn't seem to be any consistency.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this inconsistency might arise?

Cheers for the help! Very much appreciated!
Harry

pythoncoder

Re: pyboard UART -> GSM SIM800l module. Command responses aren't consistent

Postby pythoncoder » Thu May 18, 2017 5:43 am

Unless someone else has the same hardware it's hard to see how anyone else can debug this. The approach I'd use is to use a logic analyser (you can get Chinese clones of the Saleae one for a few £/$). Put that on the UART lines, turn on the protocol analyser function, and examine what's going on. Perhaps it's a timing issue? Are you using UART flow control? Both the Pyboard and your chip support it.

As a general point the Pyboard UART code is widely used and has been extensively tested; I'd be surprised if it was causing the problem.
Peter Hinch

Return to “The MicroPython pyboard”