Pyboard not connecting

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
MasterH2O

Pyboard not connecting

Post by MasterH2O » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:47 am

I'm new to the electronics world and made my first project on my Pyboard with an I2C. The I2C was functionnal, but then I tried to power up the Pyboard with an external 9.3 V / 3A battery with the pins on V+ and GND. It worked once but afterwards the Pyboard stopped responding and the chip next to X5 (probably the power regulator) started overheating. The Pyboard didn't even connect as a usb flash memory after that when I connect it to my computer with a usb/micro usb cable (the chip was still overheating). Do you know what happened with the Pyboard ?

pythoncoder

Re: Pyboard not connecting

Post by pythoncoder » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:59 am

Is it a Pyboard 1.x or a Pyboard D?

A Pyboard 1.x should be happy with 9.3V on Vin so long as you got the polarity correct. Are you sure you didn't short Vin and 3V3 even momentarily? That might have blown up the LDO regulator chip.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

MasterH2O

Re: Pyboard not connecting

Post by MasterH2O » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:34 am

It's a Pyboard 1.1
I don't see how i would have short circuited the VIN with the 3V3 given the 3V3 port was already used by a protected cable (unless the short circuit was done in the test plate). I also tried the outside VIN+GND and it didn't work either.
Maybe it can be because the battery cables were bared by myself (still had the smoldered ends).