Basic USB HID test failing...

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
fpp

Re: Basic USB HID test failing...

Post by fpp » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:39 am

Sorry for the late report, but after entertaining high hopes all day long, yesterday evening I had some *very* mixed results...
So I decided to bring the pyboard to the office this morning, and try it on other machines to compare on a larger sample.

Here is how things stand right now :

Last night I replaced main.py with the exact code from Dave's post above and tried it on my home PC (W7).
Result : negative.
I get the prints (Sending T) in the REPL, but nothing in the active window,
and no "Rcvd: 0x54 'T'" when the REPL has focus.
Tried swapping USB ports and cables, no dice...

As Dave's code was obviously not tried in Windows, I dug out an old Chromebook (which also runs Ubuntu in a chroot) and plugged in the pyboard, and... of course it worked right away, in both environments, as described in his post.

Wondering if it was really a platform problem, I then remembered I still had an old working Netbook (a Samsung NC10 from 2088, still running XP :-) ).
And what do you know, on this one the code also works, albeit with one big caveat :
it tends to auto-repeat... after printing the first 'T' in the active window, it pauses briefly, then starts printing more Ts continuously, until I reset the board.

So this morning I tried it on two more Windows PCs at the office : the W7 corporate workstation (which would be the target usage when it works right) and my own W10 laptop I keep there on the side.
Both exhibited the same behaviour : works, but with autorepeat.

So we have three different cases here :

* Linux/ChromeOS : works as expected

* Windows XP/7/10 : works but incorrectly

* My home W7 machine : doesn't work at all
The only possible reasons I can think of right now are USB drivers :
this one has the pyboard driver installed, and also the Arduino IDE with its own driver(s).

So thanks to Dave we have working code, but thanks to Windows the hair-pulling is not over :-)

Edit: forgot to mention that the W10 laptop also has a Mint Linux double-boot.
Under Linux the pyboard also works fine, so definitely an OS problem...

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:43 pm

I suspect that what needs to happen now is to actually do a USB trace on the Windows machine and see what HID messages are actually sent from a real keyboard.

I know under linux, WireShark can sniff USB messages. Under Windows, I've used http://www.usblyzer.com (in a VirtualBox under linux). You can run it free for 30 days.

The code as I presented sends the LEFT_SHIFT and T at the same time and has them released at the same time. Of course, in real life with a real person, the Shift key tends to get pressed first, then the T, then the T released and then the shift released.

fpp

Post by fpp » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:20 pm

Thanks once more Dave for the useful hint, I'm downloading that, let's pray for a rainy weekend :-)

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:08 am

Real keyboards do auto-repeat after a short delay. Is this done by the keyboard hardware or by the device driver?
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

fpp

Post by fpp » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:03 am

I don't really know in general, but in this specific case it's clear that the signals sent by the hardware are interpreted differently by the host OS : various Windows versions autorepeat, various Linux platforms don't...

fpp

Post by fpp » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:27 am

A tidbit of good news for a change :-)

I brought the W10 laptop home to experiment on, as my home W7 PC still doesn't collaborate...

It seems that the Windows-specific autorepeat can be solved easily after all :

From the start I've been suspecting the two "tight" whille loops, and/or the rapid-fire USB sends in succession.

So I just added very short (1 and 2) delays inside the loops, and a longer one (20, as 10 looked almost-but-not-quite enough) between the two sends.

And lo, seems to work just fine... after all, we all know Windows is a bit on the slow side :-)
The order in which the keys are sent does not seems to actually matter...

Maybe all three delays are not necessary, but I can't be bothered to find out right now.
I still need to try and understand why my other PC doesn't receive anything, using the USB sniffer... *phew* :)

fpp

Post by fpp » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:08 am

@Dave :

Another thing that puzzles me is, where and how did you get the idea for bytearray(9) ?

The (admittedly few) examples I found, like the one I linked to earlier, all use 8...
And your code seems to work just as well with 8 too :-)

fpp

Post by fpp » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:42 pm

Curiouser and curiouser... what was supposed to a "quick experiment" is tuning into a saga, and spiralling down into Vodoo-land...

USBlyzer is a nifty tool indeed, probably difficult to master but easy enough to see what's going in on.
It just told me "how come" (but not "why" :-) ) the pyboard doesn't work as an HID keyboard on my home PC :
somehow it's recognized as an HID mouse :-)

When I capture the traffic on that port I see it receives the right data from the board : it just doesn't know what to do with it, or thinks it's wrong...

Of course I installed USBlyszer on the laptop, and there the pyboard appears as a keyboard and everything works fine.

Now how do I explain the meaning of Life to that crazy machine ?... :-)

PS: Oh, and, Dave... USBlyszer also shows my real USB keyboard sending 8-byte arrays :-)

fpp

Post by fpp » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:23 pm

fpp wrote: Now how do I explain the meaning of Life to that crazy machine ?... :-)
Well this one turned out to be simpler to fix than I expected :
finding the impostor mouse in device manager, and manually updating the driver to HID keyboard,
did the trick (and seems to survive plug/unplug cycles so far).

So maybe now we can move on to make something useful out of this...

When I first played with Arduinos, USB and buttons, I found a ready-made lib that took an array of strings that it sent to the host PC depending of which button was pressed on a keypad. I just had to customize the string values and the keypad rows/cols, which even I can do in C :-)

I guess we're still a long ways from that, right ? :-)

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:01 pm

fpp wrote:@Dave :

Another thing that puzzles me is, where and how did you get the idea for bytearray(9) ?

The (admittedly few) examples I found, like the one I linked to earlier, all use 8...
And your code seems to work just as well with 8 too :-)
I should be using 8. I was using 9 because I was looking at the packet layouts here:
http://stm32f4-discovery.net/2014/09/li ... id-device/
which include the "type" byte (i.e. keyboard versus mouse, etc), and along the way I realized that in MicroPython the send command only wants bytes 1-8, not 0-8), but I forgot to change the bytearray size back.