Unable to mount PYBFLASH to PC. Is it still possible to reflash?

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
jsather

Unable to mount PYBFLASH to PC. Is it still possible to reflash?

Post by jsather » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi,
I accidentally flashed my PYBv1.1 pyboard with the latest PYBv1.0 firmware, and now I cannot access the pyboard via USB on my PC. Given my predicament, is there a way to reflash my PYBv1.1 pyboard with the latest v1.1 firmware? I have tried to mount the pyboard via USB on both Linux and Windows machines with no luck.
Best,
Jonathon

dhylands

Re: Unable to mount PYBFLASH to PC. Is it still possible to reflash?

Post by dhylands » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:57 pm

I've done that myself a few times too.

To recover connect the DFU/BOOT0 pin to the 3.3v pin (conveniently there is a 3.3v pin directly beside the DFU pin) and power up the board or press RESET.

This pin is labelled BOOT0 in this picture: https://store.micropython.org/static/st ... v1_1-E.jpg near the bottom left corner of the board. It's above X17 and to the right of the 3V3 signal. On the backside of the board you should see DFU in white silkscreen text.

This should put the board into DFU mode and you can then go ahead and reflash with the correct firmware. You can remove the DFU to 3.3v any time after the board is in DFU mode and the next time it boots up it will run the new firmware.

jsather

Post by jsather » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:49 pm

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I am still not able to see the pyboard mounted on my PC, and thus haven't been able to reflash it after resetting. Strangely enough, the lights on the pyboard still respond normally if I try to go into safe mode or factory-reset. Is there another way to reflash the firmware without mounting the USB connection to the PC?

Jonathon

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:15 am

I'm not clear what you mean by "not able to see the pyboard on the PC".

When in DFU mode, the read, orange and blue LEDs will be dimly lit. There is no filesystem visible and no serial port available when the board is in DFU mode.

This document has more detailed information for flashing from windows, including entering DFU mode:
http://micropython.org/resources/Micro- ... -setup.pdf