pyboard doesn't show up as USB flash device on Windows 10 machine

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
Gordon_Hardman

Re: pyboard doesn't show up as USB flash device on Windows 10 machine

Post by Gordon_Hardman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:27 pm

It is definitely a Windows issue, but there is an interesting Pyboard tie-in. Now all of my Windows PCs will not recognize the V1.1 Pyboards. Except that the V1.0 Pyboard is okay on two of the machines- but has the double COM port issue on PC #2.
Also, since moving the V1.1 boards around my digital camera (which has worked fine for years) is suddenly not recognized on USB either.

Googling suggested several approaches, none of which worked:
1. Disable then Enable the USB root hub.
2. Uninstall/reinstall the USB hub driver.
3. Disable the USB selective suspend in the power options.

It seems like the disease is spreading to other USB devices. Some USB flash drives are now not recognized on some machines. It is probably just a coincidence, but all of the trouble seems to start when I plug a V1.1 Pyboard into a machine. There must be some timing/handshake that is getting "off" and leaves the USB device/machine combination unstable. It is not just the device, I took my digital camera to a fourth (uninfected AFAIK) machine and it showed up fine. I then brought it back to PC #2 where it was previously not recognized, and it showed up just fine. It appears from this that there are two interlocked issues- one in the Host, and one in the Device. Taking a sick device to an uninfected host "cures" it, seemingly.

I have plugged the V1.1 Pyboards into 3 PCs, all of which now exhibit the problem. I have not plugged them into the 4th machine, and it seems stable.

I am pretty much dead in the water with the V1.1 boards- I can't even get DFUSE to recognize them any more. I suppose I might try them in the 4th machine with them being in DFUSE mode from the start, although I am reluctant to connect them to that machine at all.

Gordon_Hardman

Post by Gordon_Hardman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:11 pm

On reflection, the problem must be with the USB peripheral on the ST chip. This is because the USB device does not show up in DFuse or as a composite memory/com USB device. I have now verified this on 5 PCs, 4 running Windows 10, and one Windows 7.
I remember reading somewhere that the Pyboard could not be bricked, but somehow I seem to have done it on two of them!

chrismas9

Post by chrismas9 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Saying it's two dead STM32's doesn't correlate with the misbehaving flash drives and camera.

1. If you reboot the PC's do the other devices work on all PC's?

2. To determine whether it's a Windows software issue try booting from a run from CD Linux distro. I the pyboards work you may have a driver problem. If they don't work under Linux you may have damaged the USB port on either the PC's or pyboards.

3. Do any of your PC's have 2 pin power plugs? If so the chassis and USB cable are biased to half mains voltage by EMC capacitors, usually between 50-60V or 100-120V. The current is low but can spark and damage IC inputs.

The dual com port is a mystery. I have used lots of different boards running MicroPython with all releases of Windows 10 and I have never seen it.

rammychan

Post by rammychan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:44 pm

First, disconnect everything from your pyboard. Then connect the DFU pin with the 3.3V pin (they're right next to each other) to put the board into DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode. Now connect the pyboard to your computer via USB.

If any problem regarding with Epson error as well as epson printer error code 0x97 just follow at https://printertechsupportnumbers.com/b ... code-0x97/

dackley

Post by dackley » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:37 pm

Hello again. I'm still having a problem with the PyBoad not showing up as a USB device on my Dell XPS 15 9560 running Windows 10 Pro version 1809 build 17763.379
I used Tera Term v4.100(SVN#7207) to read the PyBoard which reported: >>>
MicroPython v1.9.4-158-gcf1509c9 on 2018-6-13; PYBv1.0 with STM32F405RG.

I tried to upgrade this PyBoard as follows:
1. downloaded pybv10-20190402-v1.10-259-g1f5d945af.dfu
2. added DFU jumper to PyBoard and plugged into PC
3. used STMicro's DfuSE Demo (v3.0.6); reported "STM Device in DFU Mode"
4. Clicked Choose & selected downloaded dfu file in Upgrade ... with Verify after
5. Selected Upgrade & got message "Your device was plugged in DFU mode. So it is impossible to to make sure this file is correct for this device." Continue => Yes
6. STMicro's DfuSE Demo reported Target 00: Upgrading - a) Erase Phase, b) Download Phase, c) Uploading, d) Verify Successful!
7. unplugged PyBoard, removed DFU jumper, re-plugged PyBoard into PC
8. used Tera Term VT to read PyBoard which reported: >>> MicroPython v1.9.4-158-gcf1509c9 on 2018-6-13; PYBv1.0 with STM32F405RG.

Although STMicro's DfuSE Demo (v3.0.6) program reported it successfully verified the PyBoard's update, BUT it clearly failed to do so because the PyBoard still reports it is v1.9.4-158-gcf1509c9 on 2018-6-13; PYBv1.0 with ...

What's going on?? What did I do wrong?? Please help. Thanks