Dead On Arrival

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
Dramatic Explosion

Dead On Arrival

Post by Dramatic Explosion » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:40 pm

:shock: When I connect the USB cable, all of the lights flash once, then go out. That's all I can get it to do. Seems totally dead. Computer does not see it. Is it DOA? If so, how do I go about getting a replacement?

Damien
Site Admin

Re: Dead On Arrival

Post by Damien » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:35 am

The normal behaviour of a pyboard (PYB or PYBLITE) is to flash the green LED very briefly when it starts up. If it doesn't do this then it could be broken.

Try doing a factory reset by following these instructions: http://docs.micropython.org/en/latest/p ... reset.html

The board should appear as a USB flash drive on your PC. Note that some USB cables are "power only" and don't send data through, so you could try a different USB cable if it's not working.

If none of the above work then please contact the place you purchased it from to get a replacement. Purchases from https://store.micropython.org should contact the email address: contact -at- micropython.org

chrismas9

Post by chrismas9 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:31 am

Try connecting BOOT to 3.3V, then plug in a USB cable. Your PC should see an STM32 device in dfu mode. If so the board is probably ok and you can reload MicroPython with a dfu utility.

Also test you USB cable with another device, eg phone, and make sure you can see the device on your PC.

Dramatic Explosion

Post by Dramatic Explosion » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:12 pm

:oops: The first 3 cables I tried were either defective or just charging cables. I tried a 4th one and everything worked. :oops: Sorry for the false alarm.
PS Pleasantly surprised that my call for help was answered so quickly. This must be a great forum!

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:58 am

I got caught out by a "charging cable" the other day; never knew they existed. These things lurk in dark corners patiently awaiting their next victim ;)
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.