No response from servo

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
Dramatic Explosion

No response from servo

Post by Dramatic Explosion » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:17 am

I have successfully used a script copied to "main" on the pyboard to flash the LED's, etc.
I have also used "PuTTY" to turn the LED's on and off.

No luck getting my servo to move at all, though. The servo control wire is plugged into X1.

When I run this simple script copied to "main" to test my VILROS micro servo model SG90, the servo doesn't move:

SCRIPT:
# servo control
from pyb import Servo

s1 = Servo(1) # an angle servo

# move to 45 degrees; wait 1 second
s1.angle(45)
pyb.delay(1000)

# move to -60 degrees over 1.5 seconds
s1.angle(-60, 1500)

And I get this response (I'm using IDLE):

Python 3.6.1 (v3.6.1:69c0db5, Mar 21 2017, 18:41:36) [MSC v.1900 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.
>>>
============================ RESTART: F:\main.py ============================
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "F:\main.py", line 2, in <module>
from pyb import Servo
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pyb'
>>>

Also, when I throw angles at it using PuTTY, there is absolutely no movement.

Do I need to install this servo library https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... al/servo.c ???

If that's my problem, where do I install it? Could not find "micropython/stmhal" anywhere.

Obviously, I'm very new to this. There is probably a simple answer. I just couldn't find it. :oops:

pythoncoder

Re: No response from servo

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:57 am

I'm not clear on how you're using IDLE. It looks to me as if you're running the code on the PC rather than on the Pyboard, given that the line

Code: Select all

import pyb
is failing. This should never fail on a Pyboard. And there is no need to install anything to run a servo.

I'd test as follows. Connect to the Pyboard using a terminal. At the REPL (the >>> prompt) type in your lines one by one:

>>> from pyb import Servo
 >>> s1 = Servo(1)
 >>> s1.angle(45)

One of the many joys of Python is that you can test code line-by-line.

Incidentally development is easier if you don't alter main.py. Create a module, say "test.py". Then your program doesn't run whenever you reset the Pyboard. There are several benefits to working this way - you might have several versions on your Pyboard and it means you always get a REPL prompt after a reset. Just enter

import test
to run your script. If you build a stand-alone project which does need to run at power up, you modify main.py to include just the single import statement.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

Dramatic Explosion

Post by Dramatic Explosion » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:53 pm

Got some weird results today.

Before today, I was using IDLE to write a script, and I was naming the script "main" and copying it to flash drive F which is my pyboard. Pretty sure I was doing that right, since the LED scripts worked fine.

Second, I was using PuTTY on COM4 to get a REPL prompt, and again, the LED's worked every time. No problems there.

Here's what I found today: The X1 pin on pyboard responds to commands sent to servo 3. The X2 pin on pyboard responds to servo 4 commands, and so on. X3 is servo 1. X4 is servo 2. I discovered this by moving the signal wire around.

I don't know why. It is what it is. Maybe I need to update firmware on pyboard?

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:04 pm

The PYBLITE uses a different processor from the PYBV10/PYBV11 and there were a couple of pins that were changed in order to keep a UART on pins X1 & X2.

There was some discussion about this here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2806&p=16662

If you compare the pinout for the PYBLITE:
https://store.micropython.org/static/st ... 0-AC-D.jpg
and the PYBV11:
https://store.micropython.org/static/st ... v1_1-E.jpg

you can see some differences in the timer channels assigned to the pins X1, X2, X3, and X4. Currently, the servo code maps servo 1 to CH1, servo 2 to CH2, etc.

Dramatic Explosion

Post by Dramatic Explosion » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:30 am

Thanks for the answer. :) Yes, I have the PYBLITE. I meant to order the PYBV11. I goofed up from the beginning. :cry: