firmware upgrade renderer my pyboard useless???

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
Delebel

firmware upgrade renderer my pyboard useless???

Post by Delebel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi After several attempt at getting my win8.1 pro to see my pyboard V1.0 (driver issues) both as a serial port and a USB flash drive I went ahead and tried to upgrade its firmware to the latest version since a post I found indicated that the latest version corrected some recognition issue with the Windows drivers. I used a program found on the STM site called DfuSe v3.0.5 program to load the file named pybv10-20170907-v1.9.2.65-gc460f6f1.dfu. The process indicated it was successful but now the pyboard (after removing the DFU enable jumper) no longer shows up as any serial port at all. I noticed that the program could also read from the board. If I purchase another pyboard could I extract the firmware then rewrite to the failed board or is there another way to re-activate the dead board?

dhylands

Re: firmware upgrade renderer my pyboard useless???

Post by dhylands » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:35 pm

The pyboards are essentially unbrickable, unless you physically or electrically damage the board.

You can put it back into DFU mode and reflash another image.

The most common reason I've encountered for getting what appears to be a dead pyboard is that I'm flashing PYBV10 firmware on a 1.1 board or vice-versa.

Flashing the firmware doesn't affect the filesystem, so performing a file-system is also suggested if the board doesn't seem to be responding. See: http://docs.micropython.org/en/latest/p ... boot-modes

Delebel

Post by Delebel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks for your input. The board still show up as a DFU device on my control panel so it should respond again to another firmware update. I will double check the version mine is ver 1.0 without the accelerometer. I will check the link you mentioned and see if it helps my recovering faith in the pyboard.

Denis

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi Denis,

My understanding is that the 1.0 pyboard without the accelerometer is referred to as PYBLITEV10.

Looking at the board definitions, it appears that the PYBLITE has a 12 MHz crystal while the regular PYBV10 has an 8 MHz crystal. So flashing the PYBV10 firmware on a PYBLITEV10 board would make USB not work.

If it's a PYBLITE there should be a silkscreen on the bottom side of the board that says PYBLITEv1.0 as seen in this photo next to the white sticker: https://store.micropython.org/static/st ... v1_0-C.jpg

Delebel

Post by Delebel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks I sort of got it going again as your were right the PyBLite is what I have an when I re-flashed it with the Lite version it comes up again as the same device as before in the windows device manager. However changing from version 19.0 to 19.2 did nothing to make the board show up as 2 devices one as a serial device but it never shows up a memory card to see the files residing on the Pyboard. So I've learnt how to reflash the board successfully but my problem remains. I have loaded Linux on a spare PC and I will be moving my development to that platform since Windows has shown its dark side too many times.

Thanks Denis