Accessing pyBoard from Android via USB-OTG

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
klaff

Accessing pyBoard from Android via USB-OTG

Post by klaff » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:34 am

Hi,

I just got a pyBoard and can access it from a PC running Linux, but if I connect it to a Samsung Note 4 running Android 6 via a USB-OTG adapter, I get a notification "Unsupported uPy USB drive", "This device doesn't support this uPy USB drive. Touch to set up in a supported format." I can then choose to Format as portable storage, but I don't think I want to do that.

Is there a way to access the pyBoard from Android?

Thanks

Roberthh

Re: Accessing pyBoard from Android via USB-OTG

Post by Roberthh » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:33 pm

I have a similar problem when trying to access it from a tablet, when Pyboard acts both as Serial device and mass storage device. If it is configured as a serial device only, it works.

klaff

Post by klaff » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 pm

I want to access the mass storage, for example, to be able to edit main.py.

greentree

Post by greentree » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:21 pm

Has anyone made progress on this issue?

I'm working on an Adafruit STM32F405 Feather Express, with the firmware Adafruit provides at

https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/a ... 1573009976

I'm able to access the filesystem (and, simultaneously, REPL via a serial USB interface) on an old LG G Pad 70 phone, running Android 4.4.2. This makes a pretty handy interface for work in the field.

However, on a newer phone running Android 9, I get behavior similar to @klaff and @Roberthh.

I suspect that's because the FAT12 partition used to be supported in old versions of Android but is no longer. However there might be other settings different between the phones, the older phone is a hand-me-down so I don't know if there have been system modifications.

Does anyone have insight what's the problem and how to fix it?

Thanks!