Recommended C IDE for pyboard build/debug?

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
tomlogic

Recommended C IDE for pyboard build/debug?

Post by tomlogic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:36 pm

Are there any recommendations for an IDE to use when working on the pyboard firmware (i.e., writing C code to build, install and debug MicroPython itself)? Specifically, I'm looking for a GUI IDE I can run on Ubuntu.

I searched the forum and found some posts about Python IDEs, but was wondering if any of the MicroPython developers wanted to recommend their tools.

dhylands

Re: Recommended C IDE for pyboard build/debug?

Post by dhylands » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:39 pm

I use a text editor (VSCode) and make. I've never run the debugger on the pyboard, only on the UNIX build, where I either use bare gdb or did.

chrismas9

Re: Recommended C IDE for pyboard build/debug?

Post by chrismas9 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:43 pm

We use Eclipse and gdb for STM32 C debugging. I prefer Atollic TrueStudio which combines Eclipse and gdb with their own gdb server for ST-LINK and Segger J-link. It has better MCU coverage than the open source server and everything installs and works out of the box. ST now own Atollic and it's free for STM32. It's easy to import the MicroPython makefile. It's builds with no changes. The only thing you have to do is either set the cross compiler to Atollic gcc or install standard gcc. Atollic is available for Ubuntu, or you can just install everything separately.