Fast digital filters

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
pythoncoder

Fast digital filters

Post by pythoncoder » Sun May 13, 2018 5:48 am

See this repo. This uses the inline Arm Thumb assembler throughout and so is only suitable for STM targets. Testing was on a Pyboard.

It supports real time finite impulse response (FIR) filtering, so you can input an analog signal, filter it and output it to a DAC. Filters may have arbitrary characteristics including high pass, low pass, bandpass and band stop. A link to an online calculator is provided; this enables FIR coefficients to be computed from a desired set of filter characteristics.

It now also supports non-realtime filtering, intended primarily for post-processing signals acquired using the ADC read_timed and read_timed_multi methods. It supports FIR filtering, convolution, decimation and auto- and cross-correlation. The non-realtime routines may also be applied to arbitrary float arrays, making them suitable for processing data from other sources.

While these algorithms are easy to implement in Python I found performance problematic in an application which iterated acquisition/filter passes, hence this fast solution.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

pythoncoder

Re: Fast digital filters

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:44 pm

I have enhanced the realtime filters with a view to making them cross-platform. The inline Assembler FIR and moving average filters now support ARMV6 so they can run on RP2 (Raspberry Pico etc). There is also a Viper version. This should be widely portable and has a simpler API, but runs at about 1/3 the speed of the Assembler solutions.

I find it impressive that Viper is that quick...
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.