Build for pyboard with WINC1500 WiFi module

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
incognico

Build for pyboard with WINC1500 WiFi module

Post by incognico » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:04 am

Hi all,

I would like to use the WINC1500 WiFi module with my PyBoardV11. I have set up an Ubuntu 14.04 VM (my PC is windows) and can build the source for the pyboard with no issues. The OpenMV project has a fork of micropython and a working WINC1500 module.

ref: https://github.com/openmv/openmv/tree/m ... c/winc1500

So I would like to include the WINC1500 source module and do a build for the PyBoard, and am hoping I can get some nudging in the right direction. I am happy to keep fumbling around and experimenting my way through... but would certainly appreciate any pointers too :)

I am not new to the uC world, but am quite new to the "make" process, and uPython, in case that was not obvious ;)

Many thanks,

--Nick

incognico

Re: Build for pyboard with WINC1500 WiFi module

Post by incognico » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:08 am

Well, I hacked and slashed my way around this for a couple of days and am giving up. At least for now. For every compilation error I fixed, I uncovered (created?) four more :lol: Even when the compiler was happy I have linker errors that I can't seem to figure out.

Any suggestions on a wifi module suitable for a battery-powered uPy device (ie ultra low power features) would be appreciated! :D

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:57 am

The approach I'd use, given that the WINC1500 communicates with the host via SPI, would be to write a Python device driver based on Adafruit's C code. Something which would doubtless be of use to others too, if you're willing to share.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

incognico

Post by incognico » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:10 am

Thanks Peter, appreciate your suggestion (and your micropower notes, while I'm on the topic).

Just to follow this up, I have ordered a couple of WGM110 (https://www.silabs.com/products/wireles ... cko-module) modules which are ultra low power and support WiFi Direct. If I am going to have to write a driver then I may as well get all the features I really want :D

They should arrive today/tomorrow and I will do some testing and see if they will be suitable.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:40 am

After posting my above message I looked at the Adafruit code. It's a substantial body of code so porting it will require some effort. Well worth doing, though. Good luck!
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.