Driver installation failure

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
Hanilein

Driver installation failure

Post by Hanilein » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:30 am

Hello everyone,

I have two pyboards V1.1 running MicroPythonV1.9.2 to play with. I have issues to install the drivers as recommended.
I also have two laptops, one is a Lenovo, the other one a Toshiba.
Both running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.
The first step of the install is to plug in the pyboard, and the laptop sees the little drive as external drive - so far, so good.
The I have to update the driver by right clicking in the device manager on the "Pyboard virtual comm port...", but the update of the driver fails saying "The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name."
Aunt Google does report things like this with drivers for other hardware, and sometimes recommends to delete entries in the registry
I have tried numerous things up to uninstalling every USB driver, no success.

I then followed this thread
viewtopic.php?t=3403
and the driver works for the serial interface - but only for the first (!) pyboard.

After plugging in the second pyboard, the problem starts again. Most likely because the system now wants to install a second driver for a different COM port number. After trying to install the driver again, I can either see the mass storage or the REPL interface.
The board works, it executes my code, but i have either access to the source codes, or to the console. :evil:

It is the same on both laptops. Right now I can work with pybord #1 on the Lenovo laptop, but that is not really satisfying, i need both to run on different laptops.

By the way, is there a method to convince the drivers to use the same COM-port number for all the pyboards, regardless which particular one is used?

And please, dear admin, allow me BBCode and attachments - a picture speaks a thousand words ;)

dhylands

Re: Driver installation failure

Post by dhylands » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Hanilein wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:30 am
And please, dear admin, allow me BBCode and attachments - a picture speaks a thousand words ;)
Once you get past requiring moderation then the bbcode stuff should start working.