pyboard and SD cards [SOLVED]

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
hybotics

pyboard and SD cards [SOLVED]

Post by hybotics » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi,

I am trying to get my pyboard 1.1 to boot from a Sandisk 16Gb sd card. It is single partition. formatted fat32 according to gparted. Micropython v1.10.

The pyboard does not recognize this to boot from. There is a boot.py on the sd card.

Should this work?

8-Dale
Last edited by hybotics on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roberthh

Re: pyboard and SD cards

Post by Roberthh » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:28 pm

I have a Sandisk 16GB in my PyBoard 1.1, and it boots fine from the SD card. However, when there is a file called /flash/SKIPSD, it will ignore the files on SD for booting.
Is the SD card in general being detected, meaning: do you see file on it with:

Code: Select all

import uos
uos.listdir("/sd")
If not, there may be a problem with formatting. Sometimes there is an extra partition on the card. That will irritate micropython. Then analyze/rebuilt the card with a partition manager and create a FAT partition as the first (or only) one.

hybotics

Re: pyboard and SD cards [SOLVED]

Post by hybotics » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi,
Roberthh wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:28 pm
If not, there may be a problem with formatting. Sometimes there is an extra partition on the card. That will irritate micropython. Then analyze/rebuilt the card with a partition manager and create a FAT partition as the first (or only) one.
Problem solved! Just in case something changed, I repartitioned my sd card with a single primary partition formatted to FAT32 (/dev/sdX1). Now, my PyBoard sees and boots from the sd card. This is with Micropython v1.10.

8-Dale