Can't see pyboard in DFU mode after firmware update

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
dsmay4

Can't see pyboard in DFU mode after firmware update

Post by dsmay4 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:45 am

Hello! I am brand new and just started playing around with my PyBoard 1.1. I performed a DFU update in accordance with the directions at https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... are-Update. I performed this in Ubuntu using dfu-util v0.9, and the update process seemed to go smoothly without errors. I reset the device and was able to view the device's filesystem, run code in main.py, as well ad REPL in and run code from there. Unfortunately, the device doesn't show up in DFU mode anymore...

When I execute the command dfu-util -l, I don't see anything show up. I have the recommended /etc/udev/rules.d/49-micropython.rules file.

The command lsusb only shows this with no device descriptor afterwards:

Bus 001 Device 019: ID f055:9800

The board is a v1.1 and I'm pretty sure I uploaded the correct stable version of firmware 1.11. Soft reboot in REPL shows:

MicroPython v1.11 on 2019-05-29; PYBv1.1 with STM32F405RG

I have tried hard resets as well as filesystem resets and fully powering down overnight. Nothing seems to be helping. Any troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

pythoncoder

Re: Can't see pyboard in DFU mode after firmware update

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:40 am

The board can exist in two states. In the normal state it provides a REPL and can run programs - it does not show up as a DFU device. The other state is DFU mode where the only thing it can do is perform firmware access (typically uploading a new version).

To upgrade firmware you put it into DFU mode typically by powering up with a link the two pins as described in the doc you referenced. If you do a power cycle or push the reset button without that link it goes into normal mode.
Peter Hinch

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:41 am

Hi,
So you were able to get it into DFU mode once (using a jumper wire to BOOT0 (the DFU pin) ), but since the update this no longer works for you?
Out of curiosity, can you try running "machine.bootloader()" on the REPL and see if that does it?

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:43 am

You need to connect the DFU pin (aka BOOT0) to 3.3v and press reset to get it in DFU mode, or from the REPL execute pyb.bootloader()

On the pyboard BOOT0 is located right next to a 3.3v pin. If you refer to this photo http://docs.micropython.org/en/latest/p ... ckref.html BOOT0 is in the lower left corner above X17 and to the right of 3V3

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:56 am

My reading of the OP is that he successfully performed a firmware upgrade and is using the board, but is unclear why, when in normal use, the board no longer shows up as a DFU device.
Peter Hinch