/sd gone round 2

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
smhodge

/sd gone round 2

Post by smhodge » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:23 pm

Brand-new, out-of-the-box, pyboard v1.1. Connected to it with rshell to see if it was alive and well. It was except, once again, no /sd. Unlike round 1 (months ago) no code had been loaded onto it. The rshell message is the same: "cannot access /sd". I tried full erase & reloading firmware (and upgrading in the process to 1.12) but that did not fix it. Eventually I tried loading my code and it works just fine except it can only be loaded to /flash.

Apparently the SD card on the board was DOA. I now have 3 boards where that is the same situation: usable with /flash but not /sd. Admittedly the first 2 could have been due to some screwup on my part. But not this time.

Has anybody else had this happen? Or have I just managed to hit the one-in-whatever bad board? I'd just rack it up to that if it weren't for the fact that I have 2 other boards that are also fine except they cannot access /sd. (I also have 4 other boards w/o any /sd issue.)

dhylands

Re: /sd gone round 2

Post by dhylands » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:21 pm

How big is the SD card?

Make sure that the SD card if formatted as FAT.

I just tried a 32Gb card and it worked fine.

Make sure you power on the pyboard AFTER inserting the sdcard.

smhodge

Post by smhodge » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:33 am

I tried 2, 16 and 32 GB cards, all formatted FAT. They all work in other pyboards.

Is it robust enough to survive inserting after the board is powered on, even though it might not work until it's done properly?

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:17 am

I would avoid inserting or removing SD cards while powered up.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.