RFC: Move forums to GitHub Discussions

Announcements and news related to MicroPython.
jimmo

RFC: Move forums to GitHub Discussions

Post by jimmo » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:46 am

See discussion at https://github.com/micropython/micropython/issues/8795 (but feel free to reply/discuss here!)

This is just an idea at this stage, but keen to hear people's thoughts!

scruss

Re: RFC: Move forums to GitHub Discussions

Post by scruss » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:57 pm

Lukewarm, at best.

Is phpBB currently to arduous to maintain? If moved to an offsite service, you're basically giving the database and user details to a third party who will try to monetize it. This phpBB instance doesn't know that the user "scruss" that I am is the same scruss on github (which is mined for user info by Microsoft). Discourse wants to link all of my user names to one identity, too

If github discussions go away (it's somebody else's product, so it can), where does our knowledge base go?

Searching Discourse and github from an external search engine is as unlikely to turn up useful information as phpBB hosted information. At least forum.micropython.org has it all in one place.

Yes, phpBB's markup and features are a bit awful. Having to smack four spaces in front of code in order for it to present as code in Markdown is just as annoying as using code tags. New posters are unlikely to get either right, and the web isn't kind to Python code. At least with phpBB, you can fairly easily untangle pasted but untagged code from the source.

KJM

Post by KJM » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:30 am

The forum on github would see all the eggs in one basket, is there some merit in having the code there and the chat here?

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:47 am

scruss wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:57 pm
...Having to smack four spaces in front of code in order for it to present as code in Markdown is just as annoying as using code tags...
You don't have to do that in GitHub flavoured markdown. The following will work:

Code: Select all

```python
def foo():
    print('foo')
```
A valid question is whether new users will cope with GitHub flavoured markdown. It's way better than phpBB but it takes a little learning.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

scruss

Post by scruss » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:30 pm

New users will not get any kind of markup right, because markup is necessarily non-intuitive. Anything beyond "paste text in the box" invites errors

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:58 am

I agree, it takes some effort to learn. I suppose we could write a FAQ describing the bare minimum: how to post code, quotes and URL's.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

ghayne

Post by ghayne » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:02 pm

I'd vote for Discourse, easier for new members to participate.
And enclosing code in backticks is very easy.