Migration to GitHub Discussions

Announcements and news related to MicroPython.
jimmo

Migration to GitHub Discussions

Post by jimmo » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:00 am

Hi everyone!

After close to 9 years, the MicroPython team has decided to close this forum in favour of moving to GitHub Discussions.

https://github.com/orgs/micropython/discussions

There's a few key features we really like about GitHub Discussions:
- Much tighter integration with the rest of the development process which is all hosted on GitHub. We can move Discussions to/from Issues, etc, as well as @ members and reference PRs/Issues.
- GitHub Discussions has many more features for posts and replies. Emoji responses, accepted answers, threaded replies, etc.
- GitHub Discussions uses the much more familiar Markdown syntax for writing posts, especially for code snippets (which also support syntax highlighting).
- It's less maintenance for the MicroPython team (--> more time to work on features and fixes!).
- Easier account signup (and for many people who already use GitHub, no new account required at all).

I'd like to make a special shout out to all the people who have contributed to this forum over the years, in particular pythoncoder, dhylands, Roberthh, deshipu, kevinkk525, OutoftheBOTS_, davef, stijn, jickster, mcauser who have made a combined 19289 posts! There's a huge wealth of knowledge here, and it won't be going away. We will continue to allow new posts and replies here for the next couple of weeks, but then we will mark the forum as read-only. In the future we will investigate moving the content over to GitHub.

Hope to see you at GitHub Discussions!

Jibun no kage

Re: Migration to GitHub Discussions

Post by Jibun no kage » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:37 pm

But I am going to MISS the Snake cartoon!

scruss

Post by scruss » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:42 pm

Only immediate issue for me is that Discussions has the same favicon as Github, so I can't easily tell if a tab is a github thing (with the octocat favicon) or a MicroPython thing (used to have an "M" favicon, now yet another octocat favicon)

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:12 am

scruss wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:42 pm
Only immediate issue for me is that Discussions has the same favicon as Github, so I can't easily tell if a tab is a github thing (with the octocat favicon) or a MicroPython thing (used to have an "M" favicon, now yet another octocat favicon)
That's true... haha there must be a browser extension for this right?!
Jibun no kage wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:37 pm
But I am going to MISS the Snake cartoon!
We use it on GitHub too -- https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... on-project

beetle

Post by beetle » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:44 pm

I just had a look at the GitHub Discussions. Probably OK on a PC with a large screen, but the postings bit is on the a panel in the middle of the screen, with equal screen estate being given to a left panel showing the topic sections and a right panel showing some voting stuff. Only a third of the viewing screen is given to reading the topic and code posts etc. If theres a way to adjust this please let me know. It makes the forum rather unreadable if viewed on a tablet.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:58 pm

it looks ok in landscape orientation.

scruss

Post by scruss » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:09 pm

jimmo wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:12 am
scruss wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:42 pm
That's true... haha there must be a browser extension for this right?!
Indeed: for Firefox, Favicon Switcher does the job.

Specify this as the URL pattern:

Code: Select all

https://github.com/orgs/micropython/discussions
and upload the MicroPython favicon.ico. This will do the substitution of any page under Discussions.

beetle

Post by beetle » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:30 pm

Roberthh wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:58 pm
it looks ok in landscape orientation.
It looks better :D . But on my old ipad air somethings not playing right with github. I cannot login, I cannot change from double spacing from single spacing and a circle keeps wiring around. Maybe something to do with the tablet being too old to take the latest IOS. Maybe a good excuse for a nice new ipad pro 8-) (everything is ok with Github on my desktop, but not so good for armchair reading)

TheSilverBullet

Post by TheSilverBullet » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:31 pm

beetle wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:44 pm
I just had a look at the GitHub Discussions. Probably OK on a PC with a large screen, but the postings bit is on the a panel in the middle of the screen, with equal screen estate being given to a left panel showing the topic sections and a right panel showing some voting stuff. Only a third of the viewing screen is given to reading the topic and code posts etc. If theres a way to adjust this please let me know. It makes the forum rather unreadable if viewed on a tablet.
Not only problematic on a tablet, a regular 1280x1024 monitor is also almost unusable.
The GitHub Discussions thing is built for ultrawide (or better ultra-ultrawide) monitors. Still wasting two thirds of your screen width, but at least the small stripe in the middle section is usable.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:16 pm

beetle wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:44 pm
Could you please post a screenshot? Is your browser using the mobile or desktop version? (The "right panel" you mention makes it sound like the desktop version)

I spend a lot of time replying to questions on this forum and on GitHub from my phone and I've always found the GitHub mobile UI preferable to phbbb.

GitHub is terrible on a small screen if you're using the desktop version, but the mobile version of their website seems to work well.