Migration to GitHub Discussions

Announcements and news related to MicroPython.
beetle

Re: Migration to GitHub Discussions

Post by beetle » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:32 pm

Could you please post a screenshot? Is your browser using the mobile or desktop version? (The "right panel" you mention makes it sound like the desktop version)
I think that must be it, I was viewing the normal desktop version on my ipad. I got the the github from the link in the forum, and that link came up in the ipads safari browser. I've now found a github app, but sad to say it will not install as it informs me that I need IOS 14.0 or later. My ipad air (quite an old version) is at 12.5.5, and it appears that its as up to date as it can be, and a new ipad is required for later versions.

As my very first ipad, the original one from when it first came out (doing service as a security camera viewer), conked out just last week I was thinking of getting a new one anyway.

Shards

Post by Shards » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:46 am

Certainly github discussions works just fine on an android tablet with posts occupying the whole screen width with m)ore screen space for text than this forum. Though I miss the categorisation by processor type.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:29 am

you can filter by label, and there ard quite a few predefined labels. if labels are applied. you can a well filter by category and author.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:21 am

beetle wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:32 pm
I think that must be it, I was viewing the normal desktop version on my ipad. I got the the github from the link in the forum, and that link came up in the ipads safari browser. I've now found a github app, but sad to say it will not install as it informs me that I need IOS 14.0 or later. My ipad air (quite an old version) is at 12.5.5, and it appears that its as up to date as it can be, and a new ipad is required for later versions.
I don't mean the app version -- I mean the desktop or mobile version of the web site. Not sure how it works in iOS, but in Android there's an option to choose how the browser loads the page. They look very different (which makes sense, they optimise the layout for the screen size).
Shards wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:46 am
Certainly github discussions works just fine on an android tablet with posts occupying the whole screen width with m)ore screen space for text than this forum. Though I miss the categorisation by processor type.
Roberthh wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:29 am
you can filter by label, and there ard quite a few predefined labels. if labels are applied. you can a well filter by category and author.
Yes, I'd I'd prefer to use the labels, but could add more categories if necessary. One problem is that there are so many ports these days.

(My experience here is a bit biased because I just read all threads, and don't have any use/interest in filtering by board, but I understand why that's useful).

hippy

Post by hippy » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:53 am

jimmo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:00 am
Hope to see you at GitHub Discussions!
Unfortunately, due to my employment and contract, I am not able to contribute anything on GitHub where that creates a conflict of interest so I won't be able to use that. I haven't contributed a lot here so possibly no great loss, and I'll still be contributing via the MicroPython section of the Raspberry Pi forum.

Best of wishes anyway.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:52 am

hippy wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:53 am
I'll still be contributing via the MicroPython section of the Raspberry Pi forum.
OK thank you, you do a really great job there! I will try and remember to check that forum occasionally too.

FeK9

Post by FeK9 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:34 am

jimmo wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:21 am
Yes, I'd I'd prefer to use the labels, but could add more categories if necessary. One problem is that there are so many ports these days.

(My experience here is a bit biased because I just read all threads, and don't have any use/interest in filtering by board, but I understand why that's useful).
Good Day

I'm introducing my slowly to using GitHub Discussions, it's a bit of an 'eye full' at first.

A few extra Categories might be useful for the hobbyist or casual developer who is not use to using GitHub Discussions,
some of the more dominant one 's on this forum?

Another Q&A perhaps dealing directly with the use of this discussion group, a place where 1st time users can ask questions
and see How-to’s ..?

:)

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:25 pm

FeK9 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:34 am
A few extra Categories might be useful for the hobbyist or casual developer who is not use to using GitHub Discussions,
some of the more dominant one 's on this forum?
It's easy to add more categories, but can you give some examples of the sort of ones you'd like to see?
FeK9 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:34 am
Another Q&A perhaps dealing directly with the use of this discussion group, a place where 1st time users can ask questions
and see How-to’s ..?
I'm not quite sure what you mean sorry... Do you mean adding a "Q&A - First Timers" ? Why wouldn't a first timer just ask in the relevant Q&A category for their questio (e.g. hardware, or using micropython) and get exactly the same answers from the community? But if you can suggest additional categories that aren't covered by the existing list then we can look at adding them.

FeK9

Post by FeK9 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:33 am

jimmo wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:25 pm

I'm not quite sure what you mean sorry... Do you mean adding a "Q&A - First Timers" ? Why wouldn't a first timer just ask in the relevant Q&A category for their questio (e.g. hardware, or using micropython) and get exactly the same answers from the community? But if you can
suggest additional categories that aren't covered by the existing list then we can look at adding them.
Thanks for the reply... :)

"Another Q&A perhaps dealing directly with the use of this discussion group, a place where 1st time users can ask questions
and see How-to’s ..?"

First time users of Micropython Github will probably be unsure how to or where to ask, and how to appropriately format py code... And having first time users having to go off tangent and do research on using Github Discussions might in some instances be off putting to some and choose not engage...? Just a thought...

Would not Admin of this php forum have a better idea of the dominant categories over say the last six months to a year or so? Perhaps Pyboard Pi Pico and ESP maybe...?

:)

stijn

Post by stijn » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:44 am

FeK9 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:33 am
First time users of Micropython Github will probably be unsure how to or where to ask, and how to appropriately format py code... And having first time users having to go off tangent and do research on using Github Discussions might in some instances be off putting to some and choose not engage...? Just a thought...
I honestly wonder if this can be an actual issue. The internet, plus forums, has been around for quite a while hough. Wouldn't you think that by now people able to find their way to some kind of forum, be it this one or Discussions, also know that those buttons above each post serve the purpose of formatting? Let alone be put off by it and then not post at all (instead of either just posting the code without formatting it, or go look for information). I.e. even if this is true, these first time users would have similar issues in any place on the internet.