UPDATED: New users post approval

Announcements and news related to MicroPython.
torwag

UPDATED: New users post approval

Post by torwag » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi all.

Recently we are quite a bit under attack by spammers. That might has something to do with the ongoing two kickstarter campaigns.
Nevertheless, micropython becomes more and more public and is on the transition from a niche hobby project towards a much larger industrial / academic recognized software project. Thus, I guess, we will have to fight with spammers for a much longer period.
We had to tighten up the security a bit to make sure nobody of you is bothered by spam-posts scattering the entire forum.

For all new possible users, here is current procedure:
  • 1. After registration, you should receive an email for verification. This is something you might know from a lot of other forums.
    2. The first few posts needs to get approval by a forum moderator. To make their life easier, stay very strictly on topic.
    3. Please be patient, the moderators live in different time-zones, approvals should happen quickly (within hours), however it might sometimes take a day.
    4. Do not repost.
    5. If you receive a rejection and believe it is unjustified please contact the moderators, most likely you got into some sort of spammers-crossfire.
    6. After a fixed amount of accepted posts, you will be able to post without any further approval.
We know that this all is quite a bit annoying for new members, however, we believe that this is far better rather than reading through hundred of spam posts.

Thanks
Last edited by torwag on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwimDude0614

Re: New users post approval

Post by SwimDude0614 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:50 am

Glad to see the forums are up! Can't wait to start playing around with this and developing some libraries.

Jonas

Post by Jonas » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:31 pm

It's really annoying having to wait a whole day just to get your post approved. That takes away the chance of a quick answer to your questions or opinions.
I think people will hesitate to post here just because of that, and move or slow down the spread of micro python and pyboard info.
Is there no other way to solve this? How does other forum do it?

Damien
Site Admin

Post by Damien » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:13 pm

After you have had 2 posts approved you are moved to the "registered users" group and no longer have to wait.

Jonas

Post by Jonas » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:29 pm

Thats great! Then this should show up right away then.

It should be recommended for new memebers to post two posts here right after they register, showing that they are not bots, so they dont have to wait untill they have urgent questions.

Hugs

mad474

Post by mad474 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:49 pm

let me please test if it works

pfalcon

Post by pfalcon » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:37 pm

Jonas wrote:It's really annoying having to wait a whole day just to get your post approved. That takes away the chance of a quick answer to your questions or opinions.
Well, are you ready to provide such "quick answers" on this forum yourself? ;-) If so, just keep doing it, and in several months you can apply for a moderator role and you will be able to approve new post sooner than a whole day.

Otherwise, the big problem most forums have is that they drown in spam and offtopics, not sure about everyone, but for me that's bigger issue than new user wait. We get regular waves of spamming here too, and pre-moderation of new users helps a lot with not turning this forum into spam nursery.

So, taking it positively, initial wait gives another chance to google it up ;-). And if it's really worth it, we here aim for long-term cooperation, an extra day is just a day.

But users are surely welcome to post here an introduction to get thru pre-mod quicker.
Awesome MicroPython list
Pycopy - A better MicroPython https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython
MicroPython standard library for all ports and forks - https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython-lib
More up to date docs - http://pycopy.readthedocs.io/

Jonas

Post by Jonas » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:14 pm

pfalcon wrote:Well, are you ready to provide such "quick answers" on this forum yourself?
Of course not, I'm quite new to this so I will mostly ask questions, but I do hope to contribute somehow, someday :)

I just got really frustrated when I got stuck, but you are right, it gave me an extra chance to solve the problem myself.

Vic Smolinski

Post by Vic Smolinski » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi my name is Victor and I am a real user.
Best regards.

nadrimajstor

Post by nadrimajstor » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:58 am

Will try my best not to sell any pills nor to provide Russian brides. ;)