WiPy: A kickstarter for a TI CC3200 wifi chip running MicroPython

Announcements and news related to MicroPython.
dhylands

WiPy: A kickstarter for a TI CC3200 wifi chip running MicroPython

Post by dhylands » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Just signed up.

Comes with 2Mb flash, 256K RAM, and runs MicroPython.

See more information here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wi ... o-the-next

torwag

Re: WiPy: A kickstarter for a TI CC3200 wifi chip running MicroPython

Post by torwag » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:23 pm

Hehehe... found it by chance and signed up too.
Not sure what to do with it, esp. since I backed the black swift as well.
But it is nice to see that other projects start to pick-up micropython, that should (hopefully) result in a wider developer base.

danicampora

Post by danicampora » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:41 pm

@dhylands Thanks for posting the news!!
@torwag One of the nicest things about the CC3200 are it's low power modes. You can put it to sleep (current=850uA), WiFi still enabled and besides the usual wake up sources, WiFi interrupts can also wake it up (data reception, client connected, etc.). That's a feature no other WiFi chip has. Not to mention that you can access the hardware through a super friendly and flexible Python API ;-)
Last edited by danicampora on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

torwag

Post by torwag » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:09 pm

At least it is much nicer to use the M4 of the CC3200 as MCU running uPy, rather then all those Arduino shields running an CC3200 and friend to listen to a Atmel 8bit micro ;)

I think there is a use otherwise I would not have backed it. However, there is a gap.
The pyboard and micropython is perfect for a uC-job and for that not many libs are needed.
If I add a Wifi subsystem to the game, people might ask for sql, http and other network-related libs. Some or many are not easy portable to micropython.
For that reason I was happy to see the black swift project. A full stacked Linux (ok... OpenWRT) with a similar footprint.
But I will pretty much find a nice usage for it... if not I guess Dave will be so kind to adopt the board ;)

danicampora

Post by danicampora » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:24 pm

SQL is definitely out of the question (at least for the WiPy), but HTTP, SMTP, FTP and many other network-related libs will be ported for sure. We will be releasing Python libraries for all that during the next months. They'll work on the WiPy and on any other board with a network interface card running MicroPython.

torwag

Post by torwag » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:50 pm

@danicampora:
How about a micropython-megabacker pledge, for those who backed micropython and now back wipy? :D

danicampora

Post by danicampora » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:34 am

@torwag sounds interesting... is there an easy way to do that? What do you suggest?

blmorris

Post by blmorris » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:35 am

Daniel - Congratulations and good luck!
FYI- Damien just posted the final update announcing the official end of the MicroPython Kickstarter campaign (the dsPIC port being the final part of the Kickstarter goals to be achieved.) The update went out to all of the Kickstarter backers for MicroPython; there was a a very positive mention for your project, so hopefully some of the original backers can give the WiPy campaign a nice boost.
I'm looking forward to getting a couple of these boards for myself.
-Bryan

danicampora

Post by danicampora » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:54 am

Thanks Bryan!
I saw Damien's post immediately after he wrote it yesterday, it was awesome! I am really happy to see how well the WiPy is being received. Damien and Paul (pfalcon) helped me a lot when ironing out the details of the campaign, and I am really thankful for that.

torwag

Post by torwag » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:08 pm

@ danicampora:
Pebble did this for the old and the new campaign.

You basically tell your backers that there is a little add-on to the regular pledge if they are original micro-python backers as well.
Damien would need to hand a list (backers export) of the original backers (just the necessary data like the user id without address and names) to you. At the end of your campaign you create the same list with your backers. The rest should be solvable with a few lines of python code ;)

If there is a match on both lists, reward+add-on if not simply reward.

The extra does not need to be big. Pebble just had a special engraving on the watch.
Maybe a case?
A special version of the PCB with some silkscreen saying "Megabacker"?
Maybe a "Micropython-Megabacker"-Sticker?
Anything which makes micropython backers jump to your project faster ;)