Call for testsuite running results

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
deshipu

Re: Call for testsuite running results

Post by deshipu » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:59 am

Please don't run "pip install" with sudo.

kfricke

Post by kfricke » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:38 am

deshipu wrote:Please don't run "pip install" with sudo.
Oh noes :D !

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:48 am

Well, this will trample over any files you have installed from your package manager, and possibly cause conflicts when you upgrade your system later on. Pip does a "user" install in your home directory by default since quite a while when you run it without sudo, and that is much safer. It's not a big deal, but lets you avoid trouble in the future.

kfricke

Post by kfricke » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:31 am

You are absolutely right. Avoiding trouble with package managers/software managers should always be top priority. So using local virtual environments or user environments usually is the safest and sufficient way to go.

The above case had a missing python module and using pip to install additional modules is usually quite safe. Even with pip having no uninstall can be solved by deleting the package directories by hand, which of course is bad behavior as well in case you are not experienced in this and know what you are doing.

"sudo pip install ..." is following our german saying "Was nicht passt wird passend gemacht!"

Frida

Post by Frida » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:33 am

Code: Select all

412 tests performed (13321 individual testcases)
406 tests passed
48 tests skipped: builtin_compile class_descriptor exception_chain fun_name ordereddict1 parser slice_attrs string_splitlines machine1 machine_mem urandom_extra vfs_fat_ramdisk bytearray_construct bytes_construct cmath_fun cmath_fun_special complex1 float2int float2int_doubleprec float_divmod int_big_float math_fun_special string_format true_value types meminfo memstats native_closure native_const native_misc viper_addr viper_args viper_binop_arith viper_binop_comp viper_binop_comp_imm viper_binop_multi_comp viper_cond viper_error viper_misc viper_ptr16_load viper_ptr16_store viper_ptr32_load viper_ptr32_store viper_ptr8_load viper_ptr8_store viper_subscr rge_sm sys_exc_info
6 tests failed: async_await async_await2 async_for async_for2 async_with async_with2
On a Adafruit HUZZAH
Yes Frida is my watchdog!

jwissing

Post by jwissing » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:05 am

Test results after upgrading dev env to latest for doit ESP12E DEVKIT V2.
[code]412 tests performed (13321 individual testcases)
412 tests passed
48 tests skipped: builtin_compile class_descriptor exception_chain fun_name ordereddict1 parser slice_attrs string_splitlines machine1 machine_mem urandom_extra vfs_fat_ramdisk bytearray_construct bytes_construct cmath_fun cmath_fun_special complex1 float2int float2int_doubleprec float_divmod int_big_float math_fun_special string_format true_value types meminfo memstats native_closure native_const native_misc viper_addr viper_args viper_binop_arith viper_binop_comp viper_binop_comp_imm viper_binop_multi_comp viper_cond viper_error viper_misc viper_ptr16_load viper_ptr16_store viper_ptr32_load viper_ptr32_store viper_ptr8_load viper_ptr8_store viper_subscr rge_sm sys_exc_info[/code]

gojimmypi

Post by gojimmypi » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:12 pm

deshipu wrote:Please don't run "pip install" with sudo.
fwiw, my install is relatively clean in a vm with all the latest os updates and code. No extra pip installs. See my how-to script.

Perhap the Debian py serial went bad/missing. (?) I'll revert to snapshot and start over if there's no interesting troubleshooting to be done. Odd coincidence that I also have failed tests, both when testing from Debian aso well as RPi.

pfalcon

Post by pfalcon » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:25 pm

gojimmypi wrote: fwiw, my install is relatively clean in a vm with all the latest os updates and code. No extra pip installs. See my how-to script.

Perhap the Debian py serial went bad/missing. (?) I'll revert to snapshot and start over if there's no interesting troubleshooting to be done. Odd coincidence that I also have failed tests, both when testing from Debian aso well as RPi.
gojimmypi, I don't want to discourage you (so please don't be), but I'd say it's too early to provide "automation scripts", and especially offer it to other people, if you can't solve such issues. It's a typical novice problem - trying to "automate" everything, instead of taking chance to do every bit yourself gazillion of times, learning what problems may arise, and learning how to solve them. Your pyserial problem is that you installed package for python2, but that script calls python3. Your failed tests problem is likely proverbial "Debian stable" problem, where Debian ships damn old stuff like Python 3.2, whereas MicroPython requires at least 3.3. The points is: this topic is about testing MicroPython ESP8266 port, not about testing your incorrectly setup or outdated Debian or Raspberry. It would be nice to keep this topic clean and not confuse other people, whereas help on Debian/Pi can be gotten on forums specialized to them.
Awesome MicroPython list
Pycopy - A better MicroPython https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython
MicroPython standard library for all ports and forks - https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython-lib
More up to date docs - http://pycopy.readthedocs.io/

gojimmypi

Post by gojimmypi » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:17 pm

pfalcon wrote: It's a typical novice problem
It shows, eh? ;) yes, that's true, my last embedded Microcontroller Development experience was with an Orion Unilab with the 65C02. I'm trying to wean myself off years of Microsoft-only development since then. :)
pfalcon wrote:Your pyserial problem is that you installed package for python2, but that script calls python3.
Actually - this was a fresh Debian Jessie with Python 3.4.2 (default, Oct 8 2014, 10:45:20) [GCC 4.9.1] But you are quite right about my novice status. Here's the fix regarding the serial not found error: :oops: I completely overlooked that as the "esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 flash_id" worked.

sudo apt-get install python3-serial
pfalcon wrote:The points is: this topic is about testing MicroPython ESP8266 port, not about testing your incorrectly setup or outdated Debian or Raspberry.
yes, sorry. I thought it was related as this latest compile that also gave some failed tests on the RPi. I believe both environments are completely up to date.
fwiw - even with the serial install, I'm still not able to get the tests to run from the Debian machine even though the MicroPython compiles properly and seems to otherwise work:

l▒▒ioctl(1, 0)
ioctl(5, 0)
readblocks(0, 3ffeed90(4096))
readblocks(2, 3ffeede0(4096))
could not open file 'boot.py' for reading
could not open file 'main.py' for reading

#4 ets_task(401002a4, 3, 3fff4658, 4)
MicroPython v1.7-62-g091dcae on 2016-04-14; ESP module with ESP8266
Type "help()" for more information.
When I try to run the tests, there's no response. After 30 minutes or so when I press Ctrl-C, I see this:

gojimmypi@mymachine:~$ ~/workspace/micropython/tests/run-tests  --target esp8266 --device /dev/ttyUSB0
3.4.2 (default, Oct  8 2014, 10:45:20)
[GCC 4.9.1]

^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/gojimmypi/workspace/micropython/tests/run-tests", line 389, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/gojimmypi/workspace/micropython/tests/run-tests", line 358, in main
    pyb.enter_raw_repl()
  File "/home/gojimmypi/workspace/micropython/tests/pyboard.py", line 181, in enter_raw_repl
    data = self.read_until(1, b'raw REPL; CTRL-B to exit\r\n>')
  File "/home/gojimmypi/workspace/micropython/tests/pyboard.py", line 151, in read_until
    data = self.serial.read(min_num_bytes)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 446, in read
    ready,_,_ = select.select([self.fd],[],[], self._timeout)
KeyboardInterrupt
It seems to get stuck on the pyb.enter_raw_repl()

If my reply here is inappropriate, well I won't be offended if my message gets deleted. I do think it is related to the testsuite. I always think that if I have a problem, others might also. If you disagree, well... sorry. my bad.

gojimmypi

Post by gojimmypi » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:23 pm

after all my hassle with yesterday's codebase on Debian, (and a missing python3-serial, D'oh!) a fresh fetch today for v1.7-72 has the run-tests working from Debian, with just one failed test:

pass  basics/int_big_mod.py
FAIL  basics/int_big_mul.py
pass  basics/int_big_or.py
412 tests performed (13321 individual testcases)
411 tests passed
48 tests skipped: builtin_compile class_descriptor exception_chain fun_name ordereddict1 parser slice_attrs string_splitlines machine1 machine_mem urandom_extra vfs_fat_ramdisk bytearray_construct bytes_construct cmath_fun cmath_fun_special complex1 float2int float2int_doubleprec float_divmod int_big_float math_fun_special string_format true_value types meminfo memstats native_closure native_const native_misc viper_addr viper_args viper_binop_arith viper_binop_comp viper_binop_comp_imm viper_binop_multi_comp viper_cond viper_error viper_misc viper_ptr16_load viper_ptr16_store viper_ptr32_load viper_ptr32_store viper_ptr8_load viper_ptr8_store viper_subscr rge_sm sys_exc_info
1 tests failed: int_big_mul

xtensa-lx106-elf-cc (crosstool-NG 1.20.0) 4.8.2
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

l▒▒ioctl(1, 0)
ioctl(5, 0)
readblocks(0, 3ffeeb00(4096))
readblocks(2, 3ffee850(4096))
could not open file 'boot.py' for reading
could not open file 'main.py' for reading

#4 ets_task(401002a4, 3, 3fff4658, 4)
MicroPython v1.7-72-g050e645-dirty on 2016-04-15; ESP module with ESP8266
Type "help()" for more information.
>>>
I am using a "Geekcreit" board like this one: http://www.banggood.com/Geekcreit-Doit- ... 85891.html
I hope this is helpful. :)