About the I2S on WiPy.

Questions and discussion about The WiPy 1.0 board and CC3200 boards.
Target audience: Users with a WiPy 1.0 or CC3200 board.
beyonlo

About the I2S on WiPy.

Post by beyonlo » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:25 pm

Hello, where is the documentation/examples about the I2S for the WiPy?
Searching for the I2C for example, is OK.

I trying here http://micropython.org/resources/docs/e ... index.html

Thank you.

SpotlightKid

Re: About the I2S on WiPy.

Post by SpotlightKid » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:08 pm

AFAIK, I2S is not supported by MicroPython on any port yet. There is this closed Github PR where somebody implemented it for the stmhal port but unfortunately apparently he abandoned it.

rMx

Post by rMx » Tue May 31, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi all,

Well I also wanted to know about the I2S capabilities of micropython, and it seems that the WiPy board makes use of I2S so I think it should be supported in software also..

However, I am totally new to micropython, So could anyone tell me If streaming audio to an external DAC using I2S is an (rather) easy thing usind the WiPy or will it be an advanced thing?

Thanks!

platforma

Post by platforma » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:05 am

Just like SpotlightKid said, I am not aware of any port currently supporting I2S.
If you're totally new to the project, perhaps starting out with the existing protocols and examples is the best way to go before you jump into something that hasn't been implemented yet :)

blmorris

Post by blmorris » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:21 pm

SpotlightKid wrote:AFAIK, I2S is not supported by MicroPython on any port yet. There is this closed Github PR where somebody implemented it for the stmhal port but unfortunately apparently he abandoned it.
Hi all-
FWIW, that is my PR, and yes, it has been pushed to the back burner for the time being. Haven't been tracking uPy development for the last 6 months or so, and given the pace at which the project had been moving, I'm guessing that my branch won't cleanly merge anymore.

I will still need to get this to work sooner or later, I'm hoping to get caught up on micropython development in the next month or so and hopefully make another push to get I2S supported then.

Cheers,
Bryan

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:24 am

It would be great to see that working, Bryan - the audio board you kindly gave me is waiting patiently ;)
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

rMx

Post by rMx » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Dear all,

Why do you still tell that I2S is not supported on any port of micropython when I already cited the Wipy?
See: https://www.pycom.io/solutions/py-boards/wipy/.

On the hompage they say: UART (x2), SPI, I2C, I2S, SD card (among other stuff). That´s why was quite sure they support ist (what´s the point of listing hardware interfaces, when yuo don´t support them in software??)

The short reply I got from the WiPy Staff is also, that they support it. Have not looked into code yet, but why should it be untrue? So I think I will order such a board and find out ;-)

SpotlightKid

Post by SpotlightKid » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:55 pm

Do you have a link to the code of the micropython WiPy port where the I2S support is implemented? I don't see it anywhere.

rMx

Post by rMx » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:32 am

Hi,

As I said, I have not yet checked the source files on my own, I will do as soon as I am at home again. But via quick googling on my phone I also stumbled across this

https://github.com/blmorris/uPy_AudioCodec

So it´s about an audio codec daughter pcb for the "original?" micropython PCB, and he also uses an I2S Audio codec? ;-)

Best regards!

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:19 am

@rMx See the message above from @blmorris - he developed the board and started work on the I2S firmware support for the Pyboard. The board works beautifully but the driver is not yet complete.

To return to the original topic I'm not aware of any I2S firmware support for the WiPy.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.