Binary or nightly build

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
Comedicles

Binary or nightly build

Post by Comedicles » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:37 pm

I have not been able to find a binary for the ESP8266. Is there a nightly build by someone or a place to get one? I need it to test loading problems. Is it the binary file or something else. A known working binary will be very handy when troubleshooting for a first time ESP8266 user.

Roberthh

Re: Binary or nightly build

Post by Roberthh » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:49 pm

User @wendlers is so kind to provide nightly builds: http://forum.micropython.org/viewtopic. ... 547#p10512

Comedicles

Post by Comedicles » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks Robert.

Turns out to not be the problem. Maybe something with esptool.py We get an error 2 timed out waiting for packet header at 99% point. Does that every time.

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:38 am

Is this a development board or a bare module? If it's a bare module, how are you powering it?

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:45 am

Do you use the right tty port? And do you have appropriate acess rights?

Comedicles

Post by Comedicles » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:16 pm

I'm still stumped. I have both built esptool and installed with pip. I am using Ubutnu 32 bits 14.04 on one system and Debina 2 bit Jessie on another. I have build the firmware-combined.bin and used the download binary.

I have use the direct esptool commands and the make deploy version.

Once, and I don't know why, I got a working Micropython.

All other times on the Ubuntu I get a bad header byte at the 99% mark and on the Debian I get a bad header at the 7% mark. This is true for every combination of tool and firmware!

I have rewired for short tight wiring and used a bench supply to get plenty of power. The one that worked as an esp-12, but only once. The others are esp-7 and esp-201.

I have varied baud rates. The 99% fail produces continuous output of some sort. I don't know how to set Minicom for the oddball baud rate of the log.

Any ideas much appreciated.

jms

Post by jms » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:57 am

Have you used the official flashing GUI tool ? I do and have not had any trouble with it. The fact you get different results depending on your distribution does indicate where the problem lies. It might also be in your PC's USB or Linux's driver. I have definitely found Linux's ch340 driver to be less than robust (connected to a Sheevaplug).

On the electrical front "plenty of power" may not be adequate. It is difficult to say but you might add a little local electrolytic capacitor.

I would also suggest a serial port loopback test.

Jon

Comedicles

Post by Comedicles » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:14 pm

Thanks Jon. The erasing and programming progress goes fine then I get a failure due to "timed out waiting for packet header" at the 99% mark on the Ubuntu and the 7% mark on the Debian.

I just cleaned esptool out of the Ubuntu system and used pip to install, plus the fresh. Same thing still happens. 2 breadboards and 3 esp versions 07, 12, 201. I nkow I can be thick some times but this is ridiculous. Trippple checked the GPIO setup. What is pulled up or pulled down and reset mode. That part is OK or I would not be connecting and erasing or partially loading.

Changed USB cables and FTDI adapter (I have 50 of them new in bags)

I don't know about the GUI tool. I will try some searching.