REPL not working

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
mwawrzyniec

REPL not working

Post by mwawrzyniec » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:13 am

I flashed a raw esp8266 with the latest bin an received no errors, when I tried a serial connection through putty it appears to connect. Once it loads it hangs up. I've tried resetting the esp and then re connecting through putty with no luck. I tried changing the baud rate to 9600, no luck. When I hit keys on the keyboard I see activity OK the ftdi board but nothing shows up on the screen and I see no activity on the esp. I ungrounded gpio0 and reset the esp with no change. Anyone have any suggestion's?

pythoncoder

Re: REPL not working

Post by pythoncoder » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:41 am

The baud rate should be 115200.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

mwawrzyniec

Post by mwawrzyniec » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:03 am

Sorry, I left that out of my original post. That's the baud rate I started and am currently trying.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:01 am

It might be worth trying

Code: Select all

esptool.py erase_flash
before re-flashing the firmware.

Failing that I suggest you provide more details such as the make and model of the ESP8266 board, the command line you're using to flash the firmware and the amount of flash memory on your board. The fact that you're using an FTDI interface suggests your ESP may be one of the less commonly used boards. Perhaps someone has experience with the same model.
Peter Hinch

mwawrzyniec

Post by mwawrzyniec » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:16 am

Thank you for the reply. I erased the memory before flashing it. The chip that I'm using is a generic ESP-07. I have attached a screen shot of the onboard repl when I attempt to connect through putty.
Attachments
repl.png
repl.png (6.61 KiB) Viewed 11931 times

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:53 am

How much flash memory does your board have? When you flash the firmware, are you using the --verify argument? If the board doesn't have sufficient flash to install the firmware it could explain your problem - but in this case --verify would tell you that it had failed.
Peter Hinch

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:22 am

I also flashed some raw boards with a ftdi breakout board attached.
What happens if you leave the putty connection open and powercycle the ESP board?
Did you get any output?
Did you also checked your settings for the serial connection? Especially the flow control option?

platforma

Post by platforma » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:59 pm

Did you disconnect the pin that turns the bootloader mode before powering it back up after flashing? Reset the chip while connected via putty, you'd be able to tell if it's still in bootloader mode if it prints garbage.

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:02 pm

The fact that the USB Mass Storage device is showing suggests that the pyboard is in fact running.

I imagine its a driver issue, but I'm not familiar enough with the Windows driver morass to know how to go about debugging it.

Was the pybcdc.inf file (included on the USB Mass Storage file system) installed on the Windows host?

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:37 pm

@dhylands It's a "generic ESP-07", not a Pyboard. I gather some of these have only 512KiB of flash: is this enough? That was why I suggested --verify to determine whether the flash had correctly loaded.
Peter Hinch