NEW: WiPy 2.0 - shipping 10 Oct 2016

Questions and discussion about The WiPy 1.0 board and CC3200 boards.
Target audience: Users with a WiPy 1.0 or CC3200 board.
beyonlo

Re: NEW: WiPy 2.0 - shipping 10 Oct 2016

Post by beyonlo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:14 pm

beyonlo wrote:Hello creator of WiPy 2.0.

Please, could you to clarify to us about "1KM wifi range" in the WiPy 2.0 especification?

Thanks.
Hey Dani Campora, could you please answer that for us?

Thank you.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:13 am

I'm afraid I've drawn my own conclusions about the level of support on offer :(
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

kamikaze

Post by kamikaze » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:01 pm

i've asked them about what version of MicroPython they have added to wipy 2.0 and where to see the code. No answer

kfricke

Post by kfricke » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:59 pm

A few months ago i did ask them to reopen the (initially public) Github repository to the sourcecode for their Pymakr IDE, which is an enhanced version or fork of the Eric Python IDE. The question also did not get answered.

They have started their own business (Pycom) around MicroPython on their boards and ports. So it might be a respectable reason that they do try to focus on commercial partners. But ignoring parts of the community and fellow fanboys who do back their initial projects on kickstarter is really strange. Using MIT licensed software for business plans is okay, they even have no need to publish the ESP32 port of MicroPython. But the Eric IDE is GPLv3 and Pymakr still is as well.

I have backed their kickstarter campaign for the WiPy and now again for their LoPy. From that support i am owning 2 WiPys and am currently waiting for two LoPys. So i do feel like having the right to ask such questions. Or am i wrong? :?

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:19 am

Despite great interest in the LoRa technology I did not back the LoPy because I regarded the level of support for the WiPy as unacceptable. By contrast the exemplary support for the Pyboards is a key reason I have remained an enthusiast of the platform for over two years.
Peter Hinch

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:41 am

It's the same for me -- the projects that I got the WiPys for now work much better with ESP8266s on board, and I have two WiPy boards that just lie there in the drawer and gather dust. I will be looking for a nice esp32 board once they become popular, and I'm sure there will be open-source MicroPython support for them, whether Pycom releases it or not (there is enough excitement in the community for it) -- if they don't, it will simply by done by someone else, and then most likely incompatible with the WiPy 2.0.

Turbinenreiter

Post by Turbinenreiter » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:12 am

Adafruit is working on an ESP32 Feather and that form factor is just incredibly good. Given their work on porting to atsamd21 I'd reckon they will be interested in an ESP32 port, too.

torwag

Post by torwag » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:45 am

I just received my LoRa boards.

I agree that they were somehow a bit silent recently. However, they are just in mid term of shipping out the kickstarter project. From what I can see, this is a crazy time for them (and I guess Damien agrees). Thus, give them some more time until all this kickstarter dust settles down and they can get back to a normal day-by-day schedule.

I would be rather disappointed if pycom decides to split from the micropython community. They started an own forum, whereas I believe, it would make much more sens to populate this forum (we can always talk about the structure etc.).
I can understand that they want to make a living from that, but I believe the micropython idea is strong enough to feed several companies.
One thing the "CEOs" have to get clear about; I guess it would more harm than help if different board makers enter an aggressive competition mode. Guess would be good, if there is enough openness and fairness to clarify aims and profiles of the different board makers.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:34 am

In my view the support for the WiPy has been poor from the start. It has sometimes taken months to get an answer to reasonable, straightforward technical queries.

In this instance several technically knowledgeable people have raised a fundamental issue about their WiFi range claim which appears implausible. By a full order of magnitude. A claim which, if it turns out to be false, could put Pycom at risk of legal action. I find it astonishing that there has been no response to justify their claim.
Peter Hinch

jgmdavies

Post by jgmdavies » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:36 am

@pythoncoder +1 on that

There is a very limited (so far) discussion about WiFi range over at https://forum.pycom.io/topic/53/wifi-range .

Jim