NEW: WiPy 2.0 - shipping 10 Oct 2016

Questions and discussion about The WiPy 1.0 board and CC3200 boards.
Target audience: Users with a WiPy 1.0 or CC3200 board.
rcolistete

Re: NEW: WiPy 2.0 - shipping 10 Oct 2016

Post by rcolistete » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:44 pm

About LoPy and WiPy 2.0 :
WEEKLY Update - Fred (2016-10-29)
https://forum.pycom.io/topic/136/weekly-update-fred
Dear All,

It looks like another busy week on the forum with some great input by all members. It really is a pleasure to see the level of contribution ongoing. Yet I also share your frustrations regarding some of the issues you are facing. I wanted to update you all (as unless you are mind readers) you will have no idea what we are doing in the background!

1. Opensource; Hoping to have this released in circa 1 week. Nearly there but just a question about the licence being finalised. Once you have access to the source code you will at least start to also be more in control.
2. Documentation: Totally agree: NOT enough of them! We are hoping to have someone join the team in the next few days whom will beef up the documentation for us. The offer is out and so a question of time before you see the info on the forum,
3. Diagram: Monday we will release a pin-out diagram for the LoPy. Give us feedback on the release and if you need more info thereafter just reach out.
4. Firmware updates: We are working on getting the co-existence release out ASAP but still need Espressif to modify a few things. The last firmware test (last night) still reported errors so we are awaiting more input from Teo and the team. I expect some files back in the next few days. It is a priority for us to get all network bearers up and running. Timers, TLS, Multi-threading all that is also priority for us and Daniel will release a more detailed plan shortly but ultimately I do not want to see you waiting on us past 11th November,

Thanks Fred
My "MicroPython Samples". My "MicroPython Firmwares" with many options (double precision, ulab, etc).

rcolistete

Post by rcolistete » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:11 pm

There were many questions here about the 1 km WiFi range of WiPy 2 and LoPy. Here is one answer from PyCom :
https://forum.pycom.io/topic/249/lopy-s ... uetooth/10
daniel
@rskoniec it works by setting the ESP32 WiFi radio into a special mode where it always uses the lowest WiFi data rate, and of course the high sensitivity of the new WiFi transceiver also helps a lot. It's mostly designed to be used from ESP32 to ESP32. We will release more details as soon as we can.
So it will be WiFi communication only between ESP32 boards, using special mode with low data rate. To be disclosed.

It remains unclear if it depends on external WiFi antenna, or it will be achieved with the builtin one.
My "MicroPython Samples". My "MicroPython Firmwares" with many options (double precision, ulab, etc).

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:36 am

It's a moot point whether communication which only works between specific pieces of hardware actually is WiFi ;) I wonder if it uses a special modulation scheme (spread spectrum chirp modulation perhaps) for such links, reverting to WiFi to talk to the rest of the world. Done cleverly enough this could be transparent to the user.

If it works reliably, particularly with the built in antenna, it will be useful and impressive.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.