ESP32 daily firmware builds

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
rdagger

ESP32 daily firmware builds

Post by rdagger » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:50 pm

Are there daily firmware builds available for ESP32 boards?
I looked on the Micropython download site but the ESP32 section is empty.

kfricke

Re: ESP32 daily firmware builds

Post by kfricke » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:36 am

The ESP32 port is a little behind in commits. The download page seems to build on recent version tags, which are missing in that repository.

I guess you might wait for Damien to merge that repository, do this by your own or raise an issue on the ESP32 repository on Github.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:40 pm

I have made a build of todays repository state. You can find it here https://github.com/robert-hh/Shared-Stuff
The filename is firmware.bin. You have to use esptool.py to flash it to the device. The command is:

Code: Select all

path_to_esptool.py/esptool.py --chip esp32 --port /dev/ttyUSB0 --baud 460800 write_flash -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 40m --flash_size 4MB 0 build/firmware.bin
A suitable esptool.py is for instance here: https://github.com/espressif/esptool/tr ... 90ff58845f

P.S.: The flash includes a copy of a small ftp server, started with "import ftp", which however serves only the STA mode interface.
It includes also a copy of upysh.py, a set of small file commands, and a small editor called pye.
usage for upysh: "from upysh import *", and then "man" for a list of commands
usage for pye: "from pye import pye", and then pye("filename1", "filename2", ...)

rdagger

Post by rdagger » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:02 pm

Roberthh wrote:I have made a build of todays repository state. You can find it here https://github.com/robert-hh/Shared-Stuff
Thank you very much and I will check it out. I ended up building it myself using the Adafruit video.

mattyt

Post by mattyt » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:03 am

For reference the Micropython Downloads page has had the ESP32 builds reinstated.

(Thanks Damien!)

Also see the discussion in Issue 91.

Capstan

Post by Capstan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:36 am

I usually work with the ESP8266 but keen to see equivalent functionality on the ESP32. I pulled the Micropython repository for it yesterday, went through the various steps to download and build a fresh version of the toolchain (that thing is huge). Eventually I was able to build Micropython firmware and flashed it to an Adafruit ESP32 breakout board. Getting a python prompt and can move files to the device.

I had tried this about 6 weeks ago and some of the modules I use hadn't yet been implemented. This time they all were, and everything seems to work! I can find and connect to a Wifi hotspot, interface with servers on the internet, and do a variety of GPIO-related stuff. Very encouraging! The first thing I am noticing is that I have about 100KB of RAM to work with now as opposed to ~28KB on the ESP8266.

This is huge for me, because it has become challenging to try to cram my software onto the 8266 (most has to be precompiled). Not a problem on the ESP32 at all. Also the device is very much more responsive, the improved performance is very plain to see.

Joronimo

Post by Joronimo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:27 pm

The Micropython download section for the ESP32 is empty again.
https://micropython.org/download/#esp32

I guess I'll just wait then, hoping the page will be updated at some point with the latest build. Though really, I'd take any build. Why does the download page have to be that way?

rdagger

Post by rdagger » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:50 pm

mattyt wrote:For reference the Micropython Downloads page has had the ESP32 builds reinstated.

(Thanks Damien!)

Also see the discussion in Issue 91.
Looks like the ESP32 daily build is missing again.