Tiva-C Connected Launchpad port?

Discussion and questions about boards that can run MicroPython but don't have a dedicated forum.
Target audience: Everyone interested in running MicroPython on other hardware.
udifink

Tiva-C Connected Launchpad port?

Post by udifink » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Hi,

I have a Tiva-C Connected Launchpad board:
http://www.ti.com/tool/ek-tm4c1294xl
I would like to try porting Micropython to this board.
This board has 1M flash and 256K RAM, so it should be sufficient.

Is anyone already working on this?

dhylands

Re: Tiva-C Connected Launchpad port?

Post by dhylands » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:00 pm

I've looked at the Tiva-C, and it looks like a pretty nice processor.

I started out doing a port of MicroPython to the teensy 3.1 (which uses a FreeScale M4), and got it to the point of working, but decided to work on the STM port instead. At least until the dust settles and the target isn't moving quite so quickly.

Getting a REPL up and running on a serial port should be fairly straight forward for pretty much any processor, although MicroPython doesn't use the traditional C runtime library, which means you'll need to be familar with the toolchain a bit to get all of the loose ends tied up. You could probably get something up and running using the TI runtime and then strip it out later (I would up doing something similar with the teensy).

The USB support that exists in the current stmhal port is STM specific, so you'll need to integrate TI's code to get a USB stack on the TivaC. Be careful of licensing (I'm not familiar with TI's licensing, so I just mention this as something to investigate).

There is alot of code in the stmhal port that I think can eventually be genericized, but that's still a down-the-road thing.

icotoi

Post by icotoi » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:45 pm

I'm investigating a port of micropython on the Tiva series TM4C1294NCPDT. Has anyone done anything similar so far?

drrk

Post by drrk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:02 pm

I have been working on a port to the Tiva-C boards, I had the minimal port working back in April, and have been working on a full port since.

I should have it in a better state in the next few days, right now it doesn't compile, but I can share when I get it going.

Kimball