pyboard doesn't show up as USB flash device on Windows 10 machine

The official pyboard running MicroPython.
This is the reference design and main target board for MicroPython.
You can buy one at the store.
Target audience: Users with a pyboard.
fandrewfox

pyboard doesn't show up as USB flash device on Windows 10 machine

Post by fandrewfox » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:53 pm

Actually, it does, but it takes about 6.5 minutes.

When initially connected, Windows plays the appropriate audio clip for a USB device being plugged in, but the pyboard doesn't show up as a drive. When disconnected, Windows plays the appropriate audio clip for a USB device being unplugged.

I was able to reset the board (USR and RST, green and orange LEDs...). The behavior described above didn't change.

I've tried several different USB cables and different USB ports on my machine.

I noticed that a PYBFLASH device appeared in my File Explorer, eventually. I measured this several times, and it's pretty consistent at about 6 minutes, 35 seconds. Once it showed up, I was able to open the files in a text editor.

According to the README.txt file, my Device Manager should show an unknown device, and I ought to be able to update the driver. Device Manager doesn't show any unknown devices. I see uPy microSD Flash USB Device under Disk Drives, but

Damien
Site Admin

Re: pyboard doesn't show up as USB flash device on Windows 10 machine

Post by Damien » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:21 am

Yes, this problem was discovered recently by others and has been solved in the most recent version of the firmware code. The problem was that Windows 10 (the Creators update) changed the way it queried USB mass storage devices (like USB flash drives), and it now sends a "SCSI cache synchronize" command during set up. The pyboard did not (in versions prior to v1.9.1) implement this command and so didn't work correctly in this latest version of Windows 10.

The fix is now available in v1.9.1 from https://micropython.org/download#pyboard . Please follow the instructions there to upgrade.

fandrewfox

Post by fandrewfox » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:04 am

Thanks for the help. I was able to update the board with the latest dfu file. The device is recognized immediately when I plug it in, and I can eject the media without any problems. Again, thanks!

Opshrus

Post by Opshrus » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi guys,

I have a related problem. While trying to reflash the device I have downloaded the latest firmware for pyboard 1.1,
connected the right pins on the pyboard and connected the pyboard to my computer via the usb. But the DfuSeDemo
does not show any targets to choose from. The dtu file is uploaded correctly, but I can not Upgrade as the program asks to 'select one or several targets'.

I also tried running the pydfu.py for this, but this gives me an error of a missing backend. I have installed on my system pyusb==1.0.2, libusb==1.0.21b4, libusb1==1.6.4, but still no luck.

Any idea what the problem could be?

dackley

Post by dackley » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:46 pm

My pyboard doesn't show up as a USB device on my Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) Laptop. I upgraded my PYBv1.0 to latest release and when I open it in PuTTY it shows:

MicroPython v1.9.4-158-gcf1509c9 on 2018-06-13; PYBv1.0 with STM32F405RG
Type "help()" for more information.
>>>
with LED(2) on

Any suggestion for how to access the internal file system/

pedrod7

Post by pedrod7 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:05 pm

yes, this problem is started from very recent for the user. but in the most recent version, it is mostly solved by the recent firmware update. there are some kinds of internal problem arises, or sometimes not, if there is any kind of problem staying, and not solved, you may connect to https://printerchatsupport.co.uk/canon-printer-support/

Delebel

Post by Delebel » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:11 pm

I have a pyboard that has the same disease and I was able to use the DfuSeDemo to reload once the pyboard with a later firmware update as suggested on the posts. It seem to work but the Pyboard has yet to show up on my control panel as a removable drive and the leds behave differently then when I first powered up. I also never got the chance to save the few files that did reside on the pyboard before I tried the firmware upgrade so now I'm scrambling to find a source for thoser mainly pybcdc.inf file.which I need to get the driver update to work in addition to learning the ins and outs of disabling driver signing in Windows 8.1. I've been around micro-controllers for a long time but this is ridiculous. I built a custom board to mount and power the pyboard and added a 32khz crystal for its RTC only to have it sit on my desk inert : ( Suggestion welcome and offers on a pyboard very cheap will be considered...Denis

Delebel

Post by Delebel » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:31 pm

I finally got the pyboard to show up as a mass storage and a serial port. However when I reset it after re-loading the firmware version 1.94 I do not get the greeting message shown on your get started section. I only get PYB: Does that mean I still haven't recovered to the same version as when I first bought the board? Or perhaps some area got re-written that shouldn't have? Any taughts...

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:17 am

If you press return a couple times and get >>> prompt, then you can press Control-D and see the full greeting.

Gordon_Hardman

Post by Gordon_Hardman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:45 pm

I have a related problem which shares some of these symptoms. I have three Windows 10, 64 bit pro machines. I recently bought two Pyboard 1.1 boards via Digikey.

PC #1: Nothing when I plug either of these boards in. This machine works great with a Pyboard 1.0. DFUSE does not see the Pyboards either. Absolutely nothing in Device Manager. No response whatsoever, even when I upgraded to 1.9.4 (see below)!

PC #2: DFUSE sees the Pyboards, I upgraded both to 1.9.4. I now get two virtual COM ports. COM4 and COM5 for one board, COM7 and COM8 for the other. But no USB flash device with a file system. I only get REPL on the higher numbered COM port. Nothing on the lower numbered one. I suspect it should have been set up as the PYBFLASH but it went awry somehow.

PC #3: Works correctly, just like the old Pyboard 1.0 did- a single COM port (3 in this case) and a USB PYBFLASH (G:). Nice.

PC #1 is my "lab" machine and I would really like it to work with the Pyboards. It is clearly some setting in Windows or somewhere, based on the symptoms.
Anyone have anything I can try?