PyConAu Talk - any suggestions?

General discussions and questions abound development of code with MicroPython that is not hardware specific.
Target audience: MicroPython Users.
philwilkinson40

Re: PyConAu Talk - any suggestions?

Post by philwilkinson40 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:03 am

deshipu wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:57 pm
philwilkinson40 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:12 am
Great forum post. I was dismayed that PyCon at Portland appeared to have nothing covering Micropython this year...
Well, there was a development board running it in the swag bag, a birds-of-feather meeting, and quite some coding done during the sprints. I wouldn't call that "nothing".
Oh dear! Apologies @deshipu I didn't see any of that. I didn't actually attend the conference, this is just what I could see online and YouTube.

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Tue May 29, 2018 12:01 pm

philwilkinson40 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:03 am
deshipu wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:57 pm
philwilkinson40 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:12 am
Great forum post. I was dismayed that PyCon at Portland appeared to have nothing covering Micropython this year...
Well, there was a development board running it in the swag bag, a birds-of-feather meeting, and quite some coding done during the sprints. I wouldn't call that "nothing".
Oh dear! Apologies @deshipu I didn't see any of that. I didn't actually attend the conference, this is just what I could see online and YouTube.
Sorry, that was the recent PyCon in Cleveland. The one in Portland (last year) had some MicroPython and CircuitPython stuff too, though, including at least two talks, and a big hardware hacking session during the sprint.

mattyt

Post by mattyt » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks for all your feedback!

I'm happy to say that one of my proposals - Asyncio in (Micro)Python - was accepted for PyConAu!

I submitted four talk proposals, the other three were:
  • Flavours of MicroPython - to discuss the various hardware and distributions of MicroPython and derivatives
  • MicroPython, solidifying the future - covering some 'soft' topics (community, documentation, marketing, library support)
  • MicroPython: X sensors and Y peripherals in 30 minutes! - try to show how easy it is to connect to a wide range of peripherals
But with only 10 slots available in the IoT track I'm glad to have even one talk accepted! There are at least a couple of other MicroPython talks in the mix too.

Now I just need to pull together some material... ;)

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:25 am

Congratulations. The best topic won (in my humble opinion) ;)

A lot of people either haven't grasped the concept of asynchronous programming or think it is difficult (which it isn't). The impression of difficulty has been enhanced by the twists and turns in CPython's asyncio over successive iterations. Which is why I wrote my tutorial which proposes a single consistent way of using the MicroPython subset.

If there's anything I can do to help with material, feel free to ask.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

mattyt

Post by mattyt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:47 am

I intend to leverage your work @pythoncoder - and your tutorial in particular! - in coming up with my content. I can't thank you enough for putting together such well written material. :)

Completely agree with you about the perceived difficulty with async programming; it simplifies many aspects of concurrent coding!

I was hoping you'd be open to reviewing my talk outline and notes as I pull them together. :) I'll certainly reach out as they develop. No pressure to review but any feedback you could provide would be welcome and valuable. Thanks!

bitninja

Post by bitninja » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:03 am

Are you going to present an example of using uasyncio? Do you have any ideas what you might do for that example? I have a couple of common scenarios that I think would be awesome to demonstrate, but you may already have something in mind. I just wanted to see if you were interested in any more input.

Thanks.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:33 am

@mattyt I'll be glad to look at your material.

@bitninja My simple LED flashing demo is quite effective as a first taste of asynchronous programming: most coders will be able to envisage the repulsive loop needed to achieve the same thing with synchronous code. For a presentation it would be good to add the hardware to light big lights ;)

Ideas for further more realistic and advanced demos will doubtless be welcome.
Peter Hinch

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:01 am

@mattyt FYI I yesterday updated my tutorial to update and improve the coverage of asynchronous I/O (sections 5.x).

This is partly in response to the recent improvement of PR3836 which enables user device drivers to act as stream devices.
Peter Hinch

bitninja

Post by bitninja » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:12 am

mattyt

Post by mattyt » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks for posting the link @bitninja; you beat me to it! And thanks for the feedback. :)

I've also posted the slides online for those that may be interested.

There were quite a few rough edges that I'd have liked to have had more time to polish but the talk did seem to be reasonably well received; it's certainly sparked a lot of hallway discussion which hopefully have converted a few pythonistas to micropythonistas. ;) I hope I didn't make too many glaring mistakes.

@pythoncoder I apologise for not sending my material to you ahead of time - the reality is that I was still working on it (through most of) the night before! I'm also a little frustrated that I couldn't cover more - while working on the presentation it became clear that a half-hour slot is really only enough to cover the basics. Would loved to have dug more into the synchronisation primitives, device drivers and fast_io but it just wasn't going to fit. Maybe I can do a part II next year for more experienced asyncio folks. Again, thanks for all your efforts with asyncio - you made my task a lot easier and you've made a huge contribution to the MicroPython community!

Now it's 1am and I've got to get to bed, since tomorrow brings the last day of PyCon AU...